Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thatcham device for Avensis T3-S

Richard Coleman

I'm just choosing insurance as mine expires shortly & the various comparison sites say that my (new to me) 2005 Avensis T3-S comes with a Thatcham device.

What exactly is this?

Thanks

Richard

Have a look at the following - https://www.thatcham.org/security

I Googled this - https://thatchamfitters.co.uk/car/cars-with-factory-fitted-thatcham-security/toyota.htm 

And this - https://www.thatcham.org/files/pdf/compliance.pdf

Even more of the same - https://thatchamsecurity.co.uk/car_alarms/category_2/original_equipment/toyota.htm

Your car should have Thatcham approved security fitted from factory, unless it has been tampered with, or faulty!

I never looked into this properly until now, so have learnt something new. 

Edited by Konrad C
additional info

Think we just binned all our service history and books for the avensis due to the fact we will run it till the end.

however i do recall seeing a certificate of the thatcham factory alarm and immobiliser installation done at dealers when it was brand new

Almost certainly will be the immobiliser or alarm/immobiliser, whichever was fitted as standard.

Hi,

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Regarding insurance companies and security/safety devices, they should know that most cars have some sort of Thatcham approved security, since I found info on Thatcham in my earlier post. Another thing I was aware of is the use of dashcams, and if hard wired into electrics or using the power socket (cigarette lighter). In Ask Honest John, somebody stated that they had a Dashcam (hardwired I think) and the company said that it was a modification! Honest John advised them to use the plug in adapter and change to a company that encourages Dashcam use. I think if it hardwired, it may need to be installed by a professional and certified! I told my insurer that I use a Nextbase with the plug in adapter and removed from the car (for download and security purposes) and I got a discount. I spoke to my insurance and told them exactly what I have in the car and not hard wired. They were happy. 
I always double lock my car. A couple of weeks ago I saw a Kia Soul and rear passenger door was left wide open.20180822_224037.thumb.jpg.f4afee9066d7ec4db55a3b549802aae1.jpg20180822_224046.thumb.jpg.0aed090eb273994840fe666eaf206f6d.jpg

I spoke to the supermarket security he checked the car himself then made an announcement over the tannoy system. The driver appeared and shut the door. I asked him doesn't the car give any warning when trying to lock the car, a door is open? He said no. He just remote locked the car with and assumed all the doors are closed! 😲 I demonstrated my car, it would not lock nor lights flash (my old Mk1 T22 would also give a warning beep). Glad Toyota security has that warning. Kia owners need to be careful, unless Kia does the same and he didn't look and check the car?:bangin:  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links