Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car won't start - no sounds from engine

EAxelsson

I've only just recently bought a 2006 Aygo and have had no troubles at all. Then suddenly it won't start - the dashboard lights up and the radio works but there is no evidence of life from the engine (no clicking sounds or attempts at turning over). I managed to start it after getting the advice to put it into gear and doing a little jump when turning the key, but that only worked once. No warning lights were flashing after it managed to start.

I have tried jump starting it, which did not work, and I've checked all the fuses which are all fine. 

When they key is turned the lights that stay on are for the engine, oil, and Battery - and the STOP light is flashing. 

Has this happened to anyone else? I'll be calling the garage tomorrow, but if it's a relatively straightforward fix I'd quite like to try it before sending it away. 

Thanks in advance,
E

29 minutes ago, EAxelsson said:

I've only just recently bought a 2006 Aygo and have had no troubles at all. Then suddenly it won't start - the dashboard lights up and the radio works but there is no evidence of life from the engine (no clicking sounds or attempts at turning over). I managed to start it after getting the advice to put it into gear and doing a little jump when turning the key, but that only worked once. No warning lights were flashing after it managed to start.

I have tried jump starting it, which did not work, and I've checked all the fuses which are all fine. 

When they key is turned the lights that stay on are for the engine, oil, and battery - and the STOP light is flashing. 

Has this happened to anyone else? I'll be calling the garage tomorrow, but if it's a relatively straightforward fix I'd quite like to try it before sending it away. 

Thanks in advance,
E

Sounds like it could be a starter motor problem... sometimes a very gentle tap with a hammer (on the starter motor) whilst turning the ignition over also works, or may at least confirm the problem is the starter... if it helps,  some can be reconditioned, but usually it's a swap out for another one... 

I go for starter motor too. If it’s a 2006 car and this is the same starter motor doing lots of short runs maybe, it could a worn tooth on the starter motor, hence the advice to put in gear and turn the ignition key...... that worked albeit just the once, but jump starting from abattery didn’t, after all what you doing there is replacing your car Battery. New or 2nd hand starter motor off the internet should fix.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thank you for your advice. It was the starter motor that was faulty.

It cost me £250 to have it replaced, including the towing and labour at my local garage.

Emma

Glad the issue got fixed!

Did you go for a recondition motor or a brand new one?

9 minutes ago, Byzii said:

Glad the issue got fixed!

Did you go for a recondition motor or a brand new one?

I'm not quite sure - I haven't got the receipt with me. The motor cost somewhere between £125-£150 if I remember correctly. 

Emma