Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 2011 Mkii 1NR-FE Engine Oil

rufnek2kx

Hi,

Just a quick one. My mkii Yaris is up for a service soon (version with start/stop). The handbook has 0w-30 as the preferred engine oil but then also lists a few other grades too, and recommends 0w-30 for every other oil change. I've been using Toyota oil 5w30 for the past 3 years I've had the car but was thinking of doing 0w-30 for this service. As my luck would have it, I've seen a really good offer on 5w30 Castrol Magnatec Stop Start A5 (Fully synthetic).  Is there much difference between the two? The Castrol is going very cheap.

Toyota recommend 0w30, but the other grades they state are ok. Apparently legislation stops them saying only use 0W30. )W30 will help somewhat on really cold starts, and will give you very slightly better mpg (nothing to jump up and down about).  Some on the forum say once their car gets over 100k miles then they put the 5W30 oil in to help in the not burning oil department. TAuris getting his 0W30 at £38 is a good price - from eBay TAuris????

0W-20 is Toyota's preferred oil - see Toyota's online oil tool:

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Toyota recommend 0w30, but the other grades they state are ok. Apparently legislation stops them saying only use 0W30. )W30 will help somewhat on really cold starts, and will give you very slightly better mpg (nothing to jump up and down about).  Some on the forum say once their car gets over 100k miles then they put the 5W30 oil in to help in the not burning oil department. TAuris getting his 0W30 at £38 is a good price - from Ebay TAuris????

I originally bought a service kit (oil filter, 5l oil, 4x Iridium spark plugs and air filter) from my local Toyota parts dept. It was £65 with 5w-30 oil, however I didn't want to pay the extra for the 0w-20 oil. I sold the 5w-30 oil and bought 0w-20 oil from a Toyota franchise on eBay which I previously bought front brake discs. I'm not sure how much they charge for the oil service kit with 0W-20 oil but at the time it was competitively priced (£80).

I supplied the oil & oil filter and got my local Toyota dealer to service the car with supplied invoice and stamped service book. They even washed the car. :thumbup: