Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Emergency Key problem

Minnibaggo Man

Hi guys , down in the South of France and had the keys for my Previa 2001 stolen.
fortunately, I have an old set of teeth with not electronic fob so can get in, turn the ignition but the immobiliser won't start the engine. I need to be at a wedding in 2 days and need to know how to temporarily disable the immobiliser.Paying 35 euro a day in the parking garage and hemorrhaging money fast!
Happy to show documents and pass port to prove ownership but need it moving asap.
Anyone out there can help it would be massively appreciated.
Thanks, J.

Sorry to hear about your predicament. What an absolute nightmare.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to overcome an immobilizer.
Without a key fob which has a paired transponder chip inside that is read when your key is close to the ignition barrel, you're in a really bad situation.

Do you have spare keys back at home? If so, that is going to be your best bet. That or getting it towed back home.

Alternatively, if you have no other set of keys with a transponder, the options are a bit grim:
You will need to order a new RFID key (ensuring it has a blank transponder) as many keys are sold without the transponder as they expect you to swap your existing one into it. When it arrives, you'll need to perform the process of pairing a new key. Although, If you don't have any existing keys with a transponder to do the pairing procedure, you'll have problems as your circumstances are just like that of a stolen car. What's to stop someone from managing to open a door and then request a new key. Toyota will likely not help with this at all without proof of ownership and will often require the car physically for security in order to pair a new key without any existing keys. (it wont be cheap either) likely around £300 to £500.

Alternatively, if you have no other spare keys with a transponder for your car, the other option is going to be to get a replacement ECU including replacement door locks and keys and swap the whole lot over.

Sorry that it's not better news. 😕

I forgot to add,

Depending on your insurance or breakdown cover. Lost keys may be covered.
Insurance,  if covered, could overcome the cost of replacing the keys at the expense of your excess.
Certain breakdown companies treat lost keys as a breakdown and will recover the vehicle.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links