Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any Steering Column experts out there?

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi all

Slight issue with an annoying sound coming from steering column. Always present when turning steering wheel from slight to full turns, and whether at standstill or moving, sounds like something needs lubricating ir greasing, its a dull sound, kinda sound that hurts your teeth and gives you a headache, weather conditions dont improve it. Its def not related to anything else like suspension etc, just the steering column or shaft thats the issue.

Cheers

I assume you have power steering, and that it's by means of an electric motor, in which case, could what you hear be related to the motor running as you turn the steering wheel?  As an aside, I hope you don't do too much turning of steering wheel whilst car is stationary, as it imparts higher loads on things 😟

If it happens with ignition off (or even with it on), it's probably one of two things, either the top bearing in the column (probably a nylon bush) or the rubber seal where it the column passes through the bulkhead. Happens in many types of car and can be tricky to cure and is VERY annoying. Neither is serious. Try to work out exactly where it's coming from with some help. The type of lubrication you should use is up to you as WD40 isn't  recommended for rubber (or nylon?). Lubricants that are safe for use on nylon are available but may be tricky to apply because of access, and rubber grease is also available and you may need to be a contortionist to reach the seal.

13 hours ago, StefanD said:

If it happens with ignition off (or even with it on), it's probably one of two things, either the top bearing in the column (probably a nylon bush) or the rubber seal where it the column passes through the bulkhead. Happens in many types of car and can be tricky to cure and is VERY annoying. Neither is serious. Try to work out exactly where it's coming from with some help. The type of lubrication you should use is up to you as WD40 isn't  recommended for rubber (or nylon?). Lubricants that are safe for use on nylon are available but may be tricky to apply because of access, and rubber grease is also available and you may need to be a contortionist to reach the seal.

Ahh cheers StefanD,

i shall look i to those areas at the weekend, and hopefully...fingers crossed...give things a good lubing and solve the issue, otherwise she drives like a dream especially post cat and 2 lambda sensor changes...other than this steering issue and its usually rattles..she’s perfect!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links