Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Touring Sports to debut at Paris motor show

FROSTYBALLS

Interesting that going by the photos at least some places will have the option of having an opening sunroof & the rear seats appear to fold to a decently flat loadspace.

Also https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/toyota-corolla-touring-sports-revealed-ahead-paris-debut?utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=Enews%20Bulletin&utm_content=ACAR%20ENews%20Bulletin%20-%20Goodwood%20advert%20(04.09.2018)::hero_readmore&utm_source=20180904

looks great. this is basically to replace the avensis tourer also.

I still have my old trustry 2012 avensis so may change to this in 2019 but it will be pricey I expect

• Like 1

This was mentioned on Facebook Avensis club, and from the photos and dimensions, this to me is a direct replacement of the the Avensis Tourer. The wheelbase is the same too. 

To me the New Corolla covers both Auris and Avensis. Just need to know how the 1.2  engine in reliability and economy is in the current Auris and CH-R.  

I always thought the Avensis Tourer looked better than the Auris version, and the Corolla looks more like the Avensis from side views.

Edited by Konrad C
additional words.

The wheelbase of the current Corolla, Turkish built, saloon is the same as the Avensis saloon (as is the Prius) which is why I said previously the Corolla saloon could have been a short term replacement for the Avensis, dependent on when the new Corolla is launched. It is already produced in RHD for the Irish market. 

1 hour ago, Konrad C said:

To me the New Corolla covers both Auris and Avensis. Just need to know how the 1.2  engine in reliability and economy is in the current Auris and CH-R.  

I always thought the Avensis Tourer looked better than the Auris version, and the Corolla looks more like the Avensis from side views.

Atm I am more interested in the 2.0 HSD but hopefully no need for a good few years.

I agree that there is a certain likeness to the T27 Avensis TS in the side profile towards the rear end of the new Corolla TS.

• 3 weeks later...

One more week to go.

Heard both 2 and 4 oct. for the opening day of Paris Motor Show

• 2 weeks later...

So this marks the death of true Toyota estates in Europe, only the Auris-like small estates from now on. Not exactly new news but still sad.

22 minutes ago, Byzii said:

So this marks the death of true Toyota estates in Europe, only the Auris-like small estates from now on. Not exactly new news but still sad.

The Corolla Touring Sports has a longer wheelbase than the Corolla hatchback (2700mm as opposed to 2640mm) - the same size as the now dead Avensis Tourer. Boot space is quoted as 598 litres (Avensis Tourer 509 litres).

11 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Boot space is quoted as 598 litres (Avensis Tourer 509 litres).

Avensis Touring Sport is 543l seats up, 1609l seats down.

It's not just theoretical capacity though but where & how that is achieved - the current Auris TS has a theoretically larger capacity seats down than the Avensis TS but for me the Avensis is more practical due to how that space is configured (& entrance width). We will have to wait & see the new Corolla in the metal before we can see how it fairs in that regard.

The plain fact is though that the Avensis wasn't selling in sufficient volumes in recent years to justify a direct replacement.

Since 2013 less than 5,500 saloons and tourers combined were sold annually in the UK. 3,473 saloons and tourers were sold in 2017, and just 1,783 this year to date for 2018 (Jan-Sept).

18 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The plain fact is though that the Avensis wasn't selling in sufficient volumes in recent years to justify a direct replacement.

Agreed, that whole non-premium Badge D sector market is in melt-down & the premium Badge equivalents are usually a little smaller (e.g. an Audi A4 Avant is 100mm shorter). But the Corolla TS has been designed for Europe only because estates are on average something like 40% of the market here (& probably higher for fleets) in that sector so they needed to have one.

I still think that all these premium Badge cars sold to people on PCPs who can't really afford them are a potential time bomb for the car manufacturers/finance companies.