sparrow2

paint coming off on bonnet

Recommended Posts

I have a pearl white iQ3. Recently I noticed paint coming off on the bonnet. I was alarmed. I had previously heard that pearl white iQs can have this problem and much worse than for me! I took it to the main dealer and they checked it. They are submitting a report to Toyota. I may end up with most of the car being repainted! Apparently it is just some mysterious problem that affects pearl white iQs. My problems are minor though at the moment - possibly because it was protected with Supaguard when new and I top up the protection with their polish from time to time. The person at the garage said whole swathes of the paint can come off - particularly so on the roof.

20180902_092526.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I've got a 2014 white  IQ2 and thankfully haven't had this problem.  I get plenty of stone chips due to my dual carriageway commute.

How old is your's, has it been repainted in the past and this is a result? Keep us all posted on what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an issue which affects early IQ's (2008-09) in the pearl white. Toyota are usually pretty good in allowing goodwill repairs.

One member has recently had Toyota agree to a full respray on their early IQ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you Google "Toyota pearl paint problems" there are lots of posts/articles from people with the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, en8wall69 said:

I've got a 2014 white  IQ2 and thankfully haven't had this problem.  I get plenty of stone chips due to my dual carriageway commute.

How old is your's, has it been repainted in the past and this is a result? Keep us all posted on what happens.

It is almost 8 years old and it has not been repainted. The problem only affects the bonnet at the moment but I am concerned it may spread. The damage looks nothing like usual stone chip damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

There is an issue which affects early IQ's (2008-09) in the pearl white. Toyota are usually pretty good in allowing goodwill repairs.

One member has recently had Toyota agree to a full respray on their early IQ.

Yes mine is a 2009 model. The problem has only just started and only affects the bonnet at the moment but I am obviously concerned it will spread. I will see what Toyota say - it may take a fortnight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, en8wall69 said:

If you Google "Toyota pearl paint problems" there are lots of posts/articles from people with the issue.

Yes I was aware of them. That is why I was so worried!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I've just had to join this forum as my 2011 IQ has Paint peeling off the roof and bonnet, pearl white and it's absolutely horrendous.

Never had any problems with paint on my previous car's including ones much older than this car, l can honestly say that l am extremely disappointed with Toyota .

There is no adhesion to the base coat at all , you can place a piece of sticky tape on the roof and peel the paint off its that bad.

3 year paint warranty is a complete waste of time as this issue is going to rear it's ugly head soon after warranty expires leaving owners with a colossal full respray bill.

Hope Toyota owners check the paintwork on their pride and joy before warranty expires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Chuckster said:

Well, I've just had to join this forum as my 2011 IQ has Paint peeling off the roof and bonnet, pearl white and it's absolutely horrendous.

Never had any problems with paint on my previous car's including ones much older than this car, l can honestly say that l am extremely disappointed with Toyota .

There is no adhesion to the base coat at all , you can place a piece of sticky tape on the roof and peel the paint off its that bad.

3 year paint warranty is a complete waste of time as this issue is going to rear it's ugly head soon after warranty expires leaving owners with a colossal full respray bill.

Hope Toyota owners check the paintwork on their pride and joy before warranty expires.

Three year paint warranties are standard amongst the majority of vehicle manufacturers in the UK.

As has already been stated in this topic, there is an issue with some IQ's with pearl white paintwork. 

What steps have you taken regarding the peeling? Has the car been inspected by a Toyota dealer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Car was inspected by a Toyota dealership at first sign of problem, l was told it was due to a stone chip which had then allowed water to lift up the surrounding paintwork on the roof near the driver's door.

Told a respray was required of the whole roof at a cost of £1400 but not under warranty so l would have to foot the bill, the car had just had warranty work on the engine that came to over £4000.

So at this point the roof has peeled in other area's plus the bonnet and side panels so this is not to do with stone chips and is a more serious issue.

The car is now booked for inspection by Toyota again so hopefully a resolution can be obtained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had lots of paint missing off mine but put it down to  stone chips due to going down a dark lane after it was resurfaced. I have changed it now forva Black one

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tarquin said:

I had lots of paint missing off mine but put it down to  stone chips due to going down a dark lane after it was resurfaced. I have changed it now forva Black one

David

It is very mysterious. It only affects my bonnet. I have never had a car with a bonnet with so much paint coming off before. The rest of the paint work is fine. Because it is pearl white I am worried I have the well know pearl white pealing problem. On the other hand it appears not to be as bad as that. I will see what Toyota say in a few weeks. A report by the garage has been submitted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now