Do Not Sell My Personal Information

paint coming off on bonnet

sparrow2

I have a pearl white iQ3. Recently I noticed paint coming off on the bonnet. I was alarmed. I had previously heard that pearl white iQs can have this problem and much worse than for me! I took it to the main dealer and they checked it. They are submitting a report to Toyota. I may end up with most of the car being repainted! Apparently it is just some mysterious problem that affects pearl white iQs. My problems are minor though at the moment - possibly because it was protected with Supaguard when new and I top up the protection with their polish from time to time. The person at the garage said whole swathes of the paint can come off - particularly so on the roof.

20180902_092526.jpg

• Sad 1

I've got a 2014 white  IQ2 and thankfully haven't had this problem.  I get plenty of stone chips due to my dual carriageway commute.

How old is your's, has it been repainted in the past and this is a result? Keep us all posted on what happens.

• Like 1

There is an issue which affects early IQ's (2008-09) in the pearl white. Toyota are usually pretty good in allowing goodwill repairs.

One member has recently had Toyota agree to a full respray on their early IQ.

• Like 1

If you Google "Toyota pearl paint problems" there are lots of posts/articles from people with the issue.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, en8wall69 said:

I've got a 2014 white  IQ2 and thankfully haven't had this problem.  I get plenty of stone chips due to my dual carriageway commute.

How old is your's, has it been repainted in the past and this is a result? Keep us all posted on what happens.

It is almost 8 years old and it has not been repainted. The problem only affects the bonnet at the moment but I am concerned it may spread. The damage looks nothing like usual stone chip damage.

5 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

There is an issue which affects early IQ's (2008-09) in the pearl white. Toyota are usually pretty good in allowing goodwill repairs.

One member has recently had Toyota agree to a full respray on their early IQ.

Yes mine is a 2009 model. The problem has only just started and only affects the bonnet at the moment but I am obviously concerned it will spread. I will see what Toyota say - it may take a fortnight.

5 hours ago, en8wall69 said:

If you Google "Toyota pearl paint problems" there are lots of posts/articles from people with the issue.

Yes I was aware of them. That is why I was so worried!

Well, I've just had to join this forum as my 2011 IQ has Paint peeling off the roof and bonnet, pearl white and it's absolutely horrendous.

Never had any problems with paint on my previous car's including ones much older than this car, l can honestly say that l am extremely disappointed with Toyota .

There is no adhesion to the base coat at all , you can place a piece of sticky tape on the roof and peel the paint off its that bad.

3 year paint warranty is a complete waste of time as this issue is going to rear it's ugly head soon after warranty expires leaving owners with a colossal full respray bill.

Hope Toyota owners check the paintwork on their pride and joy before warranty expires.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chuckster said:

Well, I've just had to join this forum as my 2011 IQ has Paint peeling off the roof and bonnet, pearl white and it's absolutely horrendous.

Never had any problems with paint on my previous car's including ones much older than this car, l can honestly say that l am extremely disappointed with Toyota .

There is no adhesion to the base coat at all , you can place a piece of sticky tape on the roof and peel the paint off its that bad.

3 year paint warranty is a complete waste of time as this issue is going to rear it's ugly head soon after warranty expires leaving owners with a colossal full respray bill.

Hope Toyota owners check the paintwork on their pride and joy before warranty expires.

Three year paint warranties are standard amongst the majority of vehicle manufacturers in the UK.

As has already been stated in this topic, there is an issue with some IQ's with pearl white paintwork. 

What steps have you taken regarding the peeling? Has the car been inspected by a Toyota dealer?

Car was inspected by a Toyota dealership at first sign of problem, l was told it was due to a stone chip which had then allowed water to lift up the surrounding paintwork on the roof near the driver's door.

Told a respray was required of the whole roof at a cost of £1400 but not under warranty so l would have to foot the bill, the car had just had warranty work on the engine that came to over £4000.

So at this point the roof has peeled in other area's plus the bonnet and side panels so this is not to do with stone chips and is a more serious issue.

The car is now booked for inspection by Toyota again so hopefully a resolution can be obtained.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had lots of paint missing off mine but put it down to  stone chips due to going down a dark lane after it was resurfaced. I have changed it now forva Black one

David

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tarquin said:

I had lots of paint missing off mine but put it down to  stone chips due to going down a dark lane after it was resurfaced. I have changed it now forva Black one

David

It is very mysterious. It only affects my bonnet. I have never had a car with a bonnet with so much paint coming off before. The rest of the paint work is fine. Because it is pearl white I am worried I have the well know pearl white pealing problem. On the other hand it appears not to be as bad as that. I will see what Toyota say in a few weeks. A report by the garage has been submitted.

• 2 weeks later...

The bonnet is getting worse! There is no sign of pealing elsewhere but it is just a matter of time. Toyota have authorised the repainting of all pearl white paint on metal. The pearl white paint on plastic will not have a problem. I may see how much they would charge me to repaint that too. I will get it done if it is not a huge price and then the whole car will be repainted!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I took my car in for its remedial work on Monday and on the way got hit by a Mercedes! So now the car is in for the free remedial work, accident repair and I have authorised £401.06 to repaint the painted plastic which is not covered by the free remedial work so I will end up with a totally repainted car. It was a strange accident. The route to the Toyota garage takes me through a roundabout which has two lanes inside it and four exits. I needed the third which is practically straight on and tracked round it in the left hand lane only to be hit at the second exit by someone who I imagine thought I was going to take that second exit despite the fact I had my right indicator on to try and make clear I did not intend do take it! I went though the whole scenario with my insurance company and they agree I am not at fault so we will see what happens with the claim. I also walked to the roundabout one lunch time and inspected the traffic flow. My intended route was quit commonly used. I hope not to lose my nine year no claims bonus! I am running around in a brand new but very basic Aygo lent to me by the garage now. I attach some pictures.

20181001_090919_1538392697641.jpg

img013.jpg

• Sad 1

Hi Gerald, sorry to hear about your mishap on the roundabout sods law Ehh,

I also have all the paint peeling off on my 2012 white IQ only noticed it Monday while I was washing it, and it is coming off in chunks of about 2inx2in, so I took it in to my local dealer and they practically OKed the respray there and then and told me that the car would be in their spray shop for 4 to 6 weeks as it has to be rubbed down to bare metal and they will also supply a car for the duration of the repair, I am also going to get an estimate to spray the plastic parts and if its not too much i'll get that done at the same time.

So all in all I cant knock Toyota warranty at all, I thought I was going to have a fight on my hands to get that done.

hope it all goes smoothly for you and all the best

Herby

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, herby the cls said:

So all in all I cant knock Toyota warranty at all, I thought I was going to have a fight on my hands to get that done.

This would have been goodwill on behalf of Toyota, rather than under the warranty, which on a 2012 car would have expired in 2017.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, herby the cls said:

Hi Gerald, sorry to hear about your mishap on the roundabout sods law Ehh,

I also have all the paint peeling off on my 2012 white IQ only noticed it Monday while I was washing it, and it is coming off in chunks of about 2inx2in, so I took it in to my local dealer and they practically OKed the respray there and then and told me that the car would be in their spray shop for 4 to 6 weeks as it has to be rubbed down to bare metal and they will also supply a car for the duration of the repair, I am also going to get an estimate to spray the plastic parts and if its not too much i'll get that done at the same time.

hope it all goes smoothly for you and all the best

Herby

Thank you.

Here is my replacement vehicle.

I have been driving it all week and it seems fine.

Today I gave it a good clean inside and out and tomorrow my wife and I are off to the coast in it. I shall see how it compares with the iQ3 on a long run!

20181006_130530.jpg

We hired an Aygo this year in Portugal, not bad but nowhere near as good as the IQ (in my opinion only),

enjoy the coast tomorrow and hope the weather picks up a bit for you

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:17 PM, herby the cls said:

We hired an Aygo this year in Portugal, not bad but nowhere near as good as the IQ (in my opinion only),

enjoy the coast tomorrow and hope the weather picks up a bit for you

After today's trip to the coast along motorways and A roads I can say in general I like it. The gearbox is quite slick and it is powerful enough. The only real disadvantage over the iQ3 is pulling off at roundabouts. I needed to leave a bigger gap with oncoming  traffic than the iQ3. I found it difficult to make it go off the mark quickly without over revving the engine a little so it was a bit noisy whereas I can get the iQ3 going quickly off the mark with little fuss. It may be just a matter of getting used to it though. If I was just patient and waited for a big gap and set off slowly there was no problem.

The iQ3  has the four cylinder 1.33 engine, so the 1.0 litre Aygo (same 3 cylinder engine as the 1.0 litre iQ) will be slower and noisier.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 10:37 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The iQ3  has the four cylinder 1.33 engine, so the 1.0 litre Aygo (same 3 cylinder engine as the 1.0 litre iQ) will be slower and noisier.

We just sold our 2017 Aygo, the aircon kicking in took a lot of engine power, throttle was too sensitive, seats like rock.

15000 miles later back in an older more civilised IQ2, aaaahhhhhhhhhhh luvly

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Helisupp said:

We just sold our 2017 Aygo, the aircon kicking in took a lot of engine power, throttle was too sensitive, seats like rock.

In both of our cars, the air con is left on all the time throughout the year. For us the benefits outweigh the power loss, which is minimal.

Seat - OK for us and no firmer than my previous 2012 Auris. 

Yes the IQ is more refined, but it was more expensive when new, has less room inside, and was chopped due to the low sales volumes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In both of our cars, the air con is left on all the time throughout the year. For us the benefits outweigh the power loss, which is minimal.

Seat - OK for us and no firmer than my previous 2012 Auris. 

Yes the IQ is more refined, but it was more expensive when new, has less room inside, and was chopped due to the low sales volumes.

9 hours ago, Helisupp said:

Yes I definitely found the throttle too sensitive to begin with. Now having driven the Aygo for 2 weeks I am getting used to it. I really like it accept that it is just not as quick off the mark as my iQ3 which only matters when you want to get away quickly onto a roundabout etc. Other than that quite important point I think I prefer the Aygo! Having refuelled twice now Fuelly claims I have got 56.1 mpg, far better than the overhaul 45 mpg average of my iQ3. I may fit in another fill up before my iQ3 is back in operation and so I will see if I get a consistent figure next time.

• Like 1

Took my sons in to get the egr valve replaced on the recall & the garage jet washed the car & blew a large lump of paint off of the bonnet.

Although they said that they probably did it it wasn't their fault as I hadn't had the stone chips repaired & at that point I lost it with the service manager & told him where he should go which I admit I shouldn't have done but if he didn't spend so much time & effort denying the problem I wouldn't have lost it.

At the time I didn't know about the production defect with the white pearlescent paint & I even complained to Toyota UK who basically said tuff luck.  Ironic that because of a production fault I took the car to Toyota who then revealed another production fault but failed to mention it.

On a slightly different note, my son now has a posh Toyota called a Lexus which also needed to go back on a recall & they kindly refuelled the car with petrol as a way of saying sorry.  Problem was it's a diesel & when my son got home told me what he thought they had done but I couldn't believe it, & a few checks revealed they had.  They admitted to it straight away & asked if I could drive it back to them 100 miles away which I refused.  They then asked me to use my relay cover to get it too them & when that failed they asked me to get quotes to get it too them.

Long story short guess which brand of car I will never be buying again?

Nearly forgot to mention the gearbox on my IQ has also just died big time.

Edited by shogunswb
Forgot the last bit
  • Sad 2

• 1 month later...
On 07 October 2018 at 10:27 PM, sparrow2 said:

After today's trip to the coast along motorways and A roads I can say in general I like it. The gearbox is quite slick and it is powerful enough. The only real disadvantage over the iQ3 is pulling off at roundabouts. I needed to leave a bigger gap with oncoming  traffic than the iQ3. I found it difficult to make it go off the mark quickly without over revving the engine a little so it was a bit noisy whereas I can get the iQ3 going quickly off the mark with little fuss. It may be just a matter of getting used to it though. If I was just patient and waited for a big gap and set off slowly there was no problem.

Have you got your IQ back yet ?

mine went in last Friday , the body shop have given us a new Mini Cooper as the courtesy car which is a great little car but it is costing us 50 quid a week to insure it !! £50x6 weeks + £300 just what I need before Xmas.

Did you have to insure the Aygo they gave you ? or was it all in with the deal

• Like 1