Do Not Sell My Personal Information

paint coming off on bonnet

sparrow2

The iQ3 is still at the garage since the 1st October! I emailed them a couple of weeks ago saying I had booked it in for a service and MOT for the next week and they emailed me back it would be a couple more weeks and they would rearrange the service and MOT as necessary but I have not heard from them since.

The Aygo is insured with no excess at no additional cost to me. I am completely used to it now and like it a lot. I have even had a holiday on the Isle of Wight in it! Over 4 tanks of fuel it is averaging 50mpg which is better than the 45mpg for my iQ3. Still the Mini Cooper sounds like it is a much better car than I have - maybe it is worth the £50 a week!

• Like 1

1st October !! that's almost 2 month now, I better start chasing them up now then LOL or its going to cost me a fortune.

The mini cooper is a pretty good car, well put together and very nippy,

I might ring Toyota and ask why I have to pay for the insurance though

glad your enjoying the Aygo and hope the IQ looks good when you get it back

I got my iQ3 back today and a provisional inspection is that it looks perfect! All parts hit by the Mercedes had been replaced with new ones and it was completely repainted. It ran fine on the way from the garage to my work and back to my home again. It had just had a slightly delayed service and MOT too!

Still it was a sad day for me too. I had become quite attached to the Aygo. It had a couple of features the iQ3 does not have which I found useful. It has a speed limiter. You can set it to any speed. I found this very useful to make sure I did not accidently creep over the speed limit and risk being prosecuted. It had a range remaining display. I particularly liked this when the fuel tank was low. When the fuel was low a little picture of a fuel pump appeared and I would then check the range remaining and know just how soon I needed to fill up. Once on the motorway I reckoned I could just get to the next plus one services. It got to 3 miles remaining with 3 miles to go to the services. Unfortunately it got to what would be 0 just before the services but actually displayed "Low Fuel" - so you get two warnings - first the fuel pump and then "Low Fuel"! I did manage to get to the pump OK.

• Like 1

Hi All and especially Tarquin. David you know who I am talking about, Cyril down the barge, well anyway his wife has a pearlescent white IQ and her paint started coming off. He bought it brand now, obviously it is a few years old now, back to the paint, Toyota know they have a problem with only pearlescent white ones and they took it to their paint shop, they had it ages and did a 100% respray. When he got it back he went over it with a fine toothed comb as the expression goes looking for any overspray, imperfections and so on but it was perfect, I went all over it but the respray was perfect. It is obvious they took lots of parts off, lights, lenses etc.

Mike.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 05 December 2018 at 7:40 AM, Mike169 said:

Got me IQ back today from the body shop, smashing job looks brand new,was glad to give the mini cooper courtesy car back, not only was it costing me £55 a week on insuring it, it was only averaging 30mpg.

Happy Days and wishing you all a Happy New Year

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

My wife’s IQ has got an awful paint problem......see the attached video it’s a 2012 model iq2 . About three years ago all the paint fell off the rear spoiler, our local dealer got it resprayed  at no cost to us.....but now !!  It looks like the whole car is going to peel.....even a strong wind is ripping great sheets of paint off. 

Our local dealer is thinking about it now, no decision yet. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gary 2 said:

My wife’s IQ has got an awful paint problem......see the attached video it’s a 2012 model iq2 . About three years ago all the paint fell off the rear spoiler, our local dealer got it resprayed  at no cost to us.....but now !!  It looks like the whole car is going to peel.....even a strong wind is ripping great sheets of paint off.

Our local dealer is thinking about it now, no decision yet.

Hi cant see any video ?? is your IQ a pearl white one? if so Toyota uk know all about the problem and they will give it a complete bare metal respray free of charge, they will also give you a courtesy car for the whole time that your car is in their bodyshop

If your car is White, don't take NO as the answer. they took photos of mine and sent them off to Toyota at 10am and by 11.30 I got a call to tell me they had excepted the claim and it was booked into the bodyshop there and then

• Like 1

Gary 2, as Leigh mentioned there is no video attached to your post.

If your paint is coming off I think you need to find out who resprayed your car, a Toyota main dealer or just a local garage and they didn't bake it on properly.

Mike.

Toyota dealer told me that the pearl white paint was being mixed when an earthquake hit and they believe the quantity of adhesive which was being added to the top coat (pearl white) was severely reduced and that is why the paint is starting to peel off all the IQs that were painted with this batch of paint, right up till 2013 when they found out about the problem.

Don't know if this is true but that's what they told me, What do you lot recon true or false ?? LOL

• Confused 1

Mixing enough paint for 4+ years.?

Not sure about that but I do know that mine isn't looking too pretty atm.

Going to Toyota in the near future for a report to be done.

21 hours ago, herby the cls said:

Hi cant see any video ?? is your IQ a pearl white one? if so Toyota uk know all about the problem and they will give it a complete bare metal respray free of charge, they will also give you a courtesy car for the whole time that your car is in their bodyshop

If your car is White, don't take NO as the answer. they took photos of mine and sent them off to Toyota at 10am and by 11.30 I got a call to tell me they had excepted the claim and it was booked into the bodyshop there and then

10 hours ago, Mike169 said:

Gary 2, as Leigh mentioned there is no video attached to your post.

If your paint is coming off I think you need to find out who resprayed your car, a Toyota main dealer or just a local garage and they didn't bake it on properly.

Mike.

It hasn’t been resprayed, we’ve had the car from new, it’s original paint......and now it’s all over the garden !!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, herby the cls said:

Toyota dealer told me that the pearl white paint was being mixed when an earthquake hit and they believe the quantity of adhesive which was being added to the top coat (pearl white) was severely reduced and that is why the paint is starting to peel off all the IQs that were painted with this batch of paint, right up till 2013 when they found out about the problem.

Don't know if this is true but that's what they told me, What do you lot recon true or false ?? LOL

21 hours ago, herby the cls said:

Thanks for this, and yes it’s a pearl white....seems like there’s a big problem with this paint, this web site is different to use (or it could be me ! )  I’ll try to put a link to the vid here......

https://www.facebook.com/1036916364/posts/10216098403826324/

22 hours ago, Gary 2 said:

About three years ago all the paint fell off the rear spoiler, our local dealer got it resprayed  at no cost to us

6 minutes ago, Gary 2 said:

It hasn’t been resprayed, we’ve had the car from new, it’s original paint..

From your earlier comment the car has been subject to some respray work.

53 minutes ago, Gary 2 said:

It hasn’t been resprayed, we’ve had the car from new, it’s original paint......and now it’s all over the garden !!!

LOL I know the feeling !! if it was windy during the night the drive would look like it had been snowing in the morning

Good luck and let us know how you get on with Toyota,

by the way your link says it has expired ??

Hi David that Earthquake reason lol, mind you when something sounds that over the top then it must be true? 

Hi Gary 2.

I think you might of mis-read me I personally don't own an IQ in pearl white, I have a Rav, see details in left hand column and also mine is in silver, but I do personally know 2 people with pearl white IQ's, one had his resprayed by Toyota, it is 100% perfect, we couldn't find a single fault/overspray and the 2nd thought he had stone chips on his bonnet so had it painted black which of course he would of paid for. Anyone out there with an IQ in pearl white let Toyota respray it, not a garage round the corner and you should get a perfect job. It is only a certain batch of cars over quite a long period.

Regards, Mike.

• 2 months later...

Toyota have gone back up in my estimations today as my IQ has just gone in for a full strip & respray & its only costing me £10 per day (max £150) for the courtesy car insurance plus maybe another £100 if I want the small car park related dents repaired.  It's a ten year old car but I did first report the problem 3 years ago so not sure if that had an influence on the decision.

Will let you know how it is when I get it back.

Update....the paintwork is getting worse ! Several new places are starting to peel ( pics added I hope ! ) Also, the grey undercoat that was very shiny and smooth is starting to disintegrate, it’s going powdery, just touching it gate whitish dust on my finger (pic). The dealer from where I bought the car says that Toyota are making encouraging noises.....but no action yet !

recap.....bought new 2012, one owner, original paintwork. Rear spoiler resprayed (free) by dealer two years ago because of similar peeling paint.

6CFD619F-C650-428D-A930-7054121E8A14.jpeg

15460036-1303-4C50-9AC8-67E56A6DD861.jpeg

9942455F-4EA4-46FF-96F6-88E3A4F26BE1.jpeg

90BE257D-AE49-478C-8EF5-1BABA4C003C8.jpeg

5C695A00-D9CB-4783-97AA-27B0267D202B.jpeg

• 2 months later...

I thought I would just give an update on the accident. The other party agree with my version of events but do not agree they were at fault! You can look at my little map but it was a two lane roundabout with 4 exits. There were no special lane arrows indicating any lane was specially for one purpose. I wanted the third exit which is approximately straight on, I kept to the left lane and was hit at the second exit because the car that hit me (who was is the right lane) assumed I was going to take that exit even though I was signalling right! To cap it all I went back to the roundabout on foot and took a video showing lots of drivers taking my route which can be presented as evidence. This may go to court! What do you think? I do not think they have a leg to stand on!

1 hour ago, sparrow2 said:

I thought I would just give an update on the accident. The other party agree with my version of events but do not agree they were at fault! You can look at my little map but it was a two lane roundabout with 4 exits. There were no special lane arrows indicating any lane was specially for one purpose. I wanted the third exit which is approximately straight on, I kept to the left lane and was hit at the second exit because the car that hit me (who was is the right lane) assumed I was going to take that exit even though I was signalling right! To cap it all I went back to the roundabout on foot and took a video showing lots of drivers taking my route which can be presented as evidence. This may go to court! What do you think? I do not think they have a leg to stand on!

what accident? what map? why would it go to court - your insurers should sort it out ( I imagine that they would probably go 50:50 & still be cheaper for the companies that the cost of going legal)?

You have to scroll up to October 4th for the map. This has been going on along time! I thought I was totally blameless and did not want to lose my 7 year no claim bonus and so it may go to court. My insurance company agrees with me that I was not at fault. I was half expecting the third party to come up with some spurious account of what happened but instead agree with my version of events and still think they are blameless! I am mystified.

21 minutes ago, sparrow2 said:

You have to scroll up to October 4th for the map. This has been going on along time! I thought I was totally blameless and did not want to lose my 7 year no claim bonus and so it may go to court. My insurance company agrees with me that I was not at fault. I was half expecting the third party to come up with some spurious account of what happened but instead agree with my version of events and still think they are blameless! I am mystified.

You wouldn't lose your full ncb.  Do you have legal expenses cover?

3 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

You wouldn't lose your full ncb.  Do you have legal expenses cover?

I have the cheapest possible comprehensive insurance. My no claims bonus went down from 9 to 3! I have no legal cover but a company recommended by my insurance company is handling things for free (they will get a good cut if we win and they think it worth their while!).

You will still have an accident on your history even if it is adjudged to be  not your fault so you may not get your full NCB back (depends upon insurance company).

& certainly when you renew you will have to declare it which may affect renewal quotes.

• Like 1