Do Not Sell My Personal Information

paint coming off on bonnet

sparrow2

One of the first things I was taught whilst learning to drive is never assume another vehicle is going to do something, indicating or not.  If another driver pulls out on you on a roundabout then they are at fault unless you are doing something ridiculous.  The rule is give way to the right, he didn't.

I had another look at my video of the traffic flow though the roundabout. Lots of drivers took my route in the left lane. What she did was like being on a dual carriage way in the outside lane and assuming the driver in the inside lane is going to take an exit! In addition I noticed something I had not paid attention to before. In my lane there was a big white arrow pointing exactly the way I went. I am not too sure exactly what significance it had but I reckon it probably supports my case!

• 1 month later...

I also have a problem with paint peeling off the bonnet of my 2010 Toyota IQ.  Over the last few months the issue has got worse and like the original poster I am worried that soon there will be no paint on my bonnet at all as it is coming off at an alarming rate.

I was so concerned that I decided to contact “Border Toyota Carlisle” where the car was originally bought. Their verdict is depressingly similar to others in this thread. First they said “stone chip damage”, then they suggested the bonnet had been re-painted to a sub standard level by a previous owner which was quickly disproved following a quick look at the cars online service history. The car does have some minor damage from stone chips but I believe as others have described, the damage is due to a fundamental problem with the initial manufacturing process.

To say I am disappointed with “Border Toyota Carlisle” would be an understatement. They fobbed me off and told me “tuff luck” and suggested I try contacting Toyota UK. 

24487A20-A143-49D2-9FD0-15A7CFF7F130.jpeg

2EE0DB73-56BB-4C49-94AF-EFD6EE2A32C0.jpeg

75676DE1-D6D5-4F40-9D42-D6490C2FB12C.jpeg

I thought that Border had gone into administration? You are probably best taking it up with Toyota GB's customer service.

• Like 1

You’re thinking of “Border Cars”. “Border Toyota” is a different dealership.

You need to contact Toyota GB customer services. Bear in mind that If they are willing to look at assistance with this, it will be goodwill rather than warranty. Toyota GB will probably require an assessment by a Toyota dealership including photos before any decision is made.

I’ve already been told tuff luck by Border Toyota Carlisle” and don’t intend degrading myself any further. Tbh, I’ll be glad once I’m rid of it. I use the car daily for work and though thee engine is sound I’ve had so many other annoying issues and the backup service from both “Border Toyota “Carlisle” and “Dumfries” has been, I’m sorry to say - terrible.

The suggestion is that you contact Toyota GB - not one of their dealers.

It will only be Toyota GB who can decide whether or not to offer goodwill in this instance.

See https://www.toyota.co.uk/contact-us/    'Customer Relations and all other enquiries' will be who you need to contact, or use the e-mail form lower down the page.

If you don't wish to make contact, then live with the issue - the choice is yours.

• 10 months later...

Hi all.. I have a 61 plate Toyota iq2 . Pearl white, with large grey parts as the paint is falling off in sheets. I reported it to the dealer last year who were going to arrange it to be assessed at the paint shop, unfortunately I had a bereavement so lost contact with them for a few months. Finally went back in January this year to be told by the paint shop that Toyota no longer do resprays if the car hasn't been serviced by Toyota. He actually said "they'll only look after customers who've looked after them". My local garage does my services at a much more affordable price. He did say he would try to push it as ultimately it is the original paint at fault.. we than went into lockdown so didn't hear anything. Popped in the dealers this week, manager sent a new report with photos and I've just been informed that it's been refused again as no recent service history with them. Just wondering if anyone has been successful in challenging a refusal? Now stuck with a car I can't sell or trade in which looks awful. 

Cheers

Julie

13 minutes ago, Julie B said:

Hi all.. I have a 61 plate Toyota iq2 . Pearl white, with large grey parts as the paint is falling off in sheets. I reported it to the dealer last year who were going to arrange it to be assessed at the paint shop, unfortunately I had a bereavement so lost contact with them for a few months. Finally went back in January this year to be told by the paint shop that Toyota no longer do resprays if the car hasn't been serviced by Toyota. He actually said "they'll only look after customers who've looked after them". My local garage does my services at a much more affordable price. He did say he would try to push it as ultimately it is the original paint at fault.. we than went into lockdown so didn't hear anything. Popped in the dealers this week, manager sent a new report with photos and I've just been informed that it's been refused again as no recent service history with them. Just wondering if anyone has been successful in challenging a refusal? Now stuck with a car I can't sell or trade in which looks awful. 

Cheers

Julie

If Toyota were to agree to a repair it would be under goodwill, rather than under any type of warranty.

Goodwill works both ways - the manufacturer provides support, either in full or as a contribution, outside of warranty at their own cost, and the customer displays goodwill by continuing to have their vehicle serviced within the franchised dealer network.

Most manufacturers adopt this approach. For example when BMW had an issue with timing chains failing, they only provided support for out of warranty claims where the vehicle had a full BMW service history.

You could contact Toyota GB customer relations, but the answer may still be the same - https://www.toyota.co.uk/contact-us/

• 3 months later...

Goodwill? Yes goodwill to Toyota has been shown by purchasing the car from them in the first place, they know its their paint problem, and just because their pockets haven't also been filled by paying for Toyota to service it, shouldnt mean turning customers away with their problem when on the other hand theyve resprayed a lot of IQs free of charge, this should be a recall, I dont understand why a successful company would do this to themselves!

No manufacturer will provide indefinite warranties on their cars, and for out of warranty repairs, goodwill is often used regardless of manufacturer.

When deciding on goodwill contributions, most manufacturers require that owners have evidence they've shown goodwill towards the manufacturer by having a full marque's service history (eg full Toyota service history). For example, with the timing chain issues that BMW had on some engines, owners whose cars were out of warranty, received goodwill contributions towards repairs where their cars had full BMW service histories.

If your IQ has a full Toyota service history, it may be worthwhile contacting Toyota Customer Services. If Toyota agree to consider the claim, they will require the car to be inspected by a Toyota dealer, and repairs done via their dealer network. Bear in mind that a goodwill contribution may not cover the full cost of repairs.

Aside from the above, if you bought the car from a dealer (not necessarily a Toyota dealer) within the last six months, you will be covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, where you may have a claim against the dealer you bought the car from. See 'the first six months' section of https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act