Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange connector under rear bumper

sandulacki

After removing the rear bumper, I have found an unconnected socket/connector under the right rear lamp. I wonder what is it for? 
(Auris 1.4 1ND-TV 2010)

bamper.jpg

It seems to be the rear parking sensors, maybe  the bumper was replaced, but shop was too lazy to reinstall them, or they were damaged in crash and owner opted out for bumper replacement only.

If it was the parking sensors I believe it would have some lights on board also, but there are none.

According to the owners manual, it only shows the buzzing sounds, and which ones is for which distance.

image.png.5a48841d31e0563af2b465d42f66a688.png

Rear parking sensors on the first generation Auris rely on aural warnings only - no visual display (ie lights) in the cabin.

58 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Rear parking sensors on the first generation Auris rely on aural warnings only - no visual display (ie lights) in the cabin.

Shouldn't it have at least a button for turning on/off?

The switch is usually mounted in or behind the interior lining of the boot.

The wires are there even if the car never had the sensors. They used the same wiring loom for every car.

13 minutes ago, JarnoSe said:

The wires are there even if the car never had the sensors. They used the same wiring loom for every car.

Does that mean i can get sensors and just plug them in? 

I checked some toyotas around that age for bumper removal videos, they all had the hole there, but it was plugged.

11 hours ago, furtula said:

Does that mean i can get sensors and just plug them in? 

No, you would also need the rest of the loom under the bumper, control unit, speaker and cut-off switch.

You can look the part numbers from japan-parts.eu, and with your own frame number you can see if they should be there or not.

Hi,

Easy  enough to buy a compete set off eBay etc for very little  - had mine for  seven years , still works fine.

2011-01-17 009.jpg

2011-01-17 010.jpg

52 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Easy  enough to buy a compete set off ebay etc for very little  - had mine for  seven years , still works fine.

Did you connect it to the wires on my photo? Or other?

38 minutes ago, sandulacki said:

Did you connect it to the wires on my photo? Or other?

No, its a complete kit with audio and visual, similar to this, usually choice of sensor colours

001080.jpg

If you have a nice garage, or some place where you can do it, it's pretty easy job.

Drill holes, connect to sensor ECU, then connect power wire of sensor ECU to the reverse parking light, and negative to car chassis.

That way when you switch into reverse,  they are turned on automatically.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links