Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Weird noise when accelerating

spo

Hi guys, I am trying to figure out what's wrong with my Corolla (1.4 VVTi / 2004). When I accelerate I hear noise from engine/gearbox and it sounds same as when you are going reverse (sorry, I don't know how to describe that noise). Anyone have experience with this? Is it a gearbox or? Any advice is appreciated.

First check the underneath splash trays are not loose. Common problem suspecting engine noise.

Hi,

Could be so many things, try taking a video with your phone which  may capture the noise ?

Is the car new to you ?  had any work done to it just before this noise ?

I'll try to record it tomorrow. When I bought it sound was there and usually I would say sound is silent in first gear and it comes more intensive in second gear (between 1500-2800 RPM) and it's parallel with engine sound. It's not whistling nor cracking but as I said I will record it tomorrow.

Reverse gears are usually straight cut, as opposed to helical cut gears used for 1-5 gears.

That's why they make that specific sound, you can often hear it in rally cars as they use straight cut gears  for all speeds.

Is the sound present in every gears, and same rpm span, or only 2nd gear?

If it's sounding in the gears when revs are increasing, then could be the clutch release bearing is worn.

Might be an alternator, might! I had something similar with my car, couple of days later the alternator had to be replaced.

Also a very similar sound can be made by a V belt, either because if it being too tight or some pulley's bearing is making noise.

Hi,

Yes can hear the noise, though not one  I know.

Usually if its from the alternator or aux belt bearings you can hear the  noise from under the bonnet.

Does not sound like a clutch release bearing, well not noisy ones I have heard.

It could be from the gearbox, but has it had the gear oil level  been checked or even changed ?  normally at 40,000 miles or 4 years, whichever first.

Takes 1.9 ltrs of 75W90 gear oil ,  I use Comma ok, that could make all the difference,  also check the drain plug when its taken out, and see if the plug has lots any metal pieces stuck to it, its usually magnetic.

• Like 2

do you have the noise while the car in full stop? if yes, try to unplug the alternator while the car is running. Also try to smell the alternator, does it have a burning smell?

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpQ6XI8e0LQ

Also here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHvQhESOzgo

Hi guys,

I just want to thank you all for your replies and suggestions. Will talk with my mechanic and hopefully it's something cheap.

No noise when the car is in full stop, just when I am driving. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links