Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel injectors cleaning

dirarko

Hello,

Do I need to clean the fuel injectors periodically? How often? can I just use methods as here (link to youtube) or do I need expensive tools such as in the dealership?

Thanks

if the injectors are working properly and generally are in a good shape, then the best thing you can do is to use good fuel. Definitely no supermarket stuff.

If that's not possible then I've heard of people using fuel additives, such as from sTp, once in a while without any problems.

Something I have some "hesitation"  when try to accelerate. I cleaned the MAF and throttle body but still have this issue. Tried to use additives but not sure if the are helping much. So I read a lot of posts recommending cleaning the fuel injectors. 

You can try a bottle of injector cleaner. However, also check for air leaks in any of the hoses. This will cause hesitation and poor running.

But for a general knowledge, can they injectors be cleaned in like this (link to youtube) ? Why do they have complicated machines for this job if one can do it so simply?

Thanks

Its cheap enough so no harm in using a known brand injector cleaner TBH, make sure you put in the correct ratio of fuel to cleaner. :thumbsup: 

Is it easy to remove the unjectors from the fuel rail? I thought it was pressurised and have to use some special tool?

Hello Roks,

This is why I am asking. Also when installing new injectors, it seems you don't need to do any extra step other than taking off the old ones and reinstalling new ones. I know we can use injector cleaners, but it seems taking them off is more effective

The biggest killer of fuel injectors (particularly in Europe) is Biofuel. In Europe this is currently 10% Ethanol, and some cars struggle to maintain a clean injector, problems such as tarnish and soot clings to the injector and causes running problems. You need to use a good quality injector cleaner, not some cheap and cheerful solvent based product. If the injector has particular problems, then removing it and cleaning it properly is the only answer. This needs to be done off the car and with a proper machine, it is a difficult DIY job and should not be done by the DIYer unless you know what you are doing.

This type of Biofuel is coming to the UK in higher concentrations than currently, stand by your beds for more injector problems here too :crybaby: :crybaby:

Not in my opinion, I have never seen such a dangerous thing to do!

Personally, i dont find anything wrong in the method from the link, i saw some people even using 9V Battery for this. 

Still, i would not fix it if it aint broken.

Petrol squirting out of the injectors, highly flammable injector cleaner squirting out whilst flashing two open wires across a 12V Battery?? No, not at all dangerous, crack on then............

From what i saw, it was carburetor cleaning liquid, but also probably quite flammable. You can tie a bad onto the injector, or put a baloon over it, or use longer vires, or a switch, etc.

As said above, personal preference if one carries it out or not, or how dangerous it it will be.

• 10 months later...

My 2002 corolla was really hesitant when accelerating when stopped. Almost stalling. I cleaned the intake . I cleaned the solenoid that’s on the intake and still no change. I pulled the injectors out and sprayed intake cleaner in the ends while brushing them with a toothbrush. Put them back in and started it up . Smoked at first then cleared up. Doesn’t hesitate on take off now. Maybe this will help someone who is having the same trouble with there car.