Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 4 Prius, PiP and Hybrid C-HR Recall

PeteB

For anyone who hasn't seen the press reports, there's a topic in the Auris section that really only affects the latest Prius, Prime and Hybrid versions of the C-HR on cars produced since 2015 (when Gen 4 Prius production commenced).

Of course, the headlines talk about fire, but it seems (according to Toyota) just one vehicle has produced a bit of smoke, but if left unchecked for a long period and under certain conditions there may be a small risk of a fire.

• Like 1

I saw this over the Prius Chat and they had a link to a VIN/Reg checker, but it was only for the US.  

Maybe there will be one available for us here in the UK?

5 minutes ago, Harters said:

Maybe there will be one available for us here in the UK?

There has been a recall checker provided by Toyota GB for a few years, and it also covers voluntary customer service campaigns - https://forms.toyota.co.uk/recall-checker?_ga=2.108825026.178852955.1536313509-1464526639.1536313509

DVSA also provides one - https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall.

Also mentioned in the topic PeteB linked.

• Like 1

My Gen 4 has had one recall so far, (parking brake clips) which was done at the same time as my first service.

Depending on how quickly my dealer is able to do this, it might coincide when I visit them at the end of October for my tyres to be swapped to the winter ones.

Either way, if it can be done quickly, I'll have a nice breakfast at the hotel next door to my dealer while they do it, if not, I'll have a loan car for the day.  My dealer is very good at lending me Hybrids, or at least auto/MMT cars as they know I don't like doing gears.

Personally, I'm quite reassured by Toyota's approach to doing recalls, and I trust them an awful lot more than I would trust certain other marques!

• Like 1

Agree with PeteB. with regard to Toyota recalls. Not been a concern for me in the past. Dealer either picks the car up or I can take the car in then go and wait in  the showroom and have a nice coffee. Either way car is returned fixed and washed. I to trust the Toyota dealer. The UK press always make a big issue of Toyota recalls.

What annoys me about recalls, any recall not just Toyota, is that after years and years of making cars some of the recalls are for silly things.. typically this one from Toyota, the remedy is a bit of tape wrapped around electric cables that were rubbing thin and could cause a short circuit and fire. Should never have happened.

hi Just booked Prius in for wiring harness fault told it will take 2 1/2 hours seems a little bit more extensive than sleeving round a cable !. 

Being Hybrid there are safety aspects to take into consideration and power down the HV system to make it safe to work on. The tape used is a special tape high wear fabric tape, not just some insulating tape. In an ideal world the would never be any recalls, but that is Utopia, I am glad Toyota have a pro active approach to recalls, it's the right thing to do. 

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I give Toyota top marks for recalls. My 86 year old father has a 10 year old Yaris and still gets notifications of recalls by letter. Last one was 2 years ago (air bag connection I think), but it amazes me that they still support such old models. It is immaculate still.

Looks like my Prius is included in this one but it seems a voluntary recall, so assume it doesn't need immediate attention. I can wait until the next service.

Mine is included too.  The tape round them at the moment looks OK, but I have put a piece of dense foam between the cover and the wires, just in case as an interim measure before I get my letter.

I think the recalls are great too.  Much rather know about possible issues that can be corrected rather than wait for something to happen which could cause further issues. 

2 hours ago, Harters said:

I have put a piece of dense foam between the cover and the wires, just in case as an interim measure before I get my letter.

That's exactly what I've done after visiting the dealers and them telling me they don't know about the recall and they'll let me know when they do. Mine has signs of slight damage to the black insulation tape but none to the actual wiring.

• Like 1

Probably need to wait til you get the recall letter

Do you think it's wise to buy an used Prius gen 4   2016 (at Toyota dealer, guaranties inkluded) before this problem is solved?

Do you think it's safe to drive an recall included car until its fixed?

8 minutes ago, HSDish said:

Do you think it's safe to drive an recall included car until its fixed?

Your dealer MUST fix any recall before it is sold, so yes, absolutely it is safe to buy one from your dealer 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

Your dealer MUST fix any recall before it is sold, so yes, absolutely it is safe to buy one from your dealer 

9 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

Hmmm. Do You say... The dealer must fix the recall BEFORE I can buy the car. They can not sell the car BEFORE the recall is fixed. I can/may not buy and drive the car BEFORE the recall is fixed?

In the UK, the code of practice agreed with the appropriate authorities is that a vehicle subject to a recall cannot be sold (handed over to the customer) until any outstanding recalls are completed

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Parts-King said:

In the UK, the code of practice agreed with the appropriate authorities is that a vehicle subject to a recall cannot be sold (handed over to the customer) until any outstanding recalls are completed

His profile says non-UK though so that may not apply where he is.

11 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

His profile says non-UK though so that may not apply where he is.

Saw that, which is why I said "appropriate authorities" I am sure it is a similar situation in most countries, particularly Europe :thumbsup: 

In any case, any official dealer worth their salt should see that the car is safe and working correctly, and all recalls done before selling.  I certainly wouldn't want to deal with a dealer that didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Read this earlier today, post this afternoon included recall letter for my C-HR

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my recall letter today for the Prius.