Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Halfords discount

Petetoyota

Just joined and want to buy a bike rack from Halfords, getting tow bar fitted tomorrow and wanted to go out with my daughter this weekend, problem is I did t realise you have to wait for a physical card to show the store for a discount. At a store at the moment and manager suggested I ask on the forum if anyone could share it with me so I can buy today. It’s a shame in this modern world these things can’t be electronic. 

Thanks,

Pete

It is Halfords who decide how the discount scheme is applied - the cards issued are produced by Halfords, and these also act as proof of premium membership when using the discount.. 

Manager at Halfords was great, he said there is a combination of card and electronic, the AA member one is electronic bar code, Ford owners is a card so varies. Anyway he has let me buy it full price and when card arrives will refund me, seems fair all round. Just a shame in the membership it doesn’t make it clear that when you join the offers are not valid until they send you stuff, didn’t even get an email confirmation of membership, pretty poor really in this modern world. Oh well someone obviously goes home at night thinking they are doing a a great job when in reality they are way behind the times and it shows!

Well I got my card today with the discount barcode on the back (15% off everything except for bicycles which are 10% off), it is a generic card sent out so does not prove who the holder is, I guess having the card in your possession means you get the discount which does not prove you are a member of anything but have access to the card, there is no start or finish date on it either so you have it forever, not my problem but very sloppy, obviously they can afford to give 15% off without having any proper control of these cards.

Off to Halfords now to get my refund of £53.85 on the Thule bike rack, worth it for the mile trip, and thanks to the manager of Halfords for being so helpful!

This is the Halfords Discount card you get, I have photographed the front and back but covered the valuable discount barcode on the back to protect unauthorised use!

You can ONLY use this discount card IN STORE, so NOT for use on web orders, BUT you could order on the web using their pay and collection IN STORE and use it then, hope its helpful to someone.

IMG_7492.jpg

IMG_7493.JPG

What it does ensure though, just like every other "loyalty" scheme, is that they access to valuable marketing data, IE, your name address email etc

Kingo :thumbsup: 

Oh dear! Amazon and Costco do that to me and now I'm an addict buying things I never knew I needed, I better get prepared for the Halfords emails now :-)

👀 I only joined the club to get a cheap bike rack :biggrin:  Problem is with the new Landcruiser the rear door is a BIG issue, why could it not be split like my Discovery which worked with the tilting Thule rack, will now have to take all the bikes and rack off to get access :rolleyes:  Tow bar being fitted today, that's another pain in the @rse with bumper being cut and having to buy a cover plate from Toyota and then pay to get it sprayed!

IMG_7495.thumb.JPG.f912697d9d3cd04b9824bf1aa6b60f09.JPG 

6 hours ago, Parts-King said:

What it does ensure though, just like every other "loyalty" scheme, is that they access to valuable marketing data, IE, your name address email etc

Kingo :thumbsup: 

Not true with Premium membership. No data goes outside these walls. Halfords have no idea who owns the cards unless you give them your email at the till. when they ask. So they are not in the loop unless you tell them personally.

They must have your details if they post the card to you?

6 hours ago, Petetoyota said:

Well I got my card today with the discount barcode on the back (15% off everything except for bicycles which are 10% off), it is a generic card sent out so does not prove who the holder is, I guess having the card in your possession means you get the discount which does not prove you are a member of anything but have access to the card, there is no start or finish date on it either so you have it forever, not my problem but very sloppy, obviously they can afford to give 15% off without having any proper control of these cards.

Off to Halfords now to get my refund of £53.85 on the Thule bike rack, worth it for the mile trip, and thanks to the manager of Halfords for being so helpful!

This is the Halfords Discount card you get, I have photographed the front and back but covered the valuable discount barcode on the back to protect unauthorised use!

You can ONLY use this discount card IN STORE, so NOT for use on web orders, BUT you could order on the web using their pay and collection IN STORE and use it then, hope its helpful to someone.

IMG_7492.jpg

IMG_7493.JPG

How can it be sloppy when the barcode ceases to work at the end of a period? It will expire at some point. May not be on the exact date but will one day.

Yes you brother, sister or friend can use it, why restrict it??? It was designed to be like that. BUT cannot be shared online as a physical card needs to be presented. If it gets abused then the offer will be revoked.

On 9/12/2018 at 4:10 PM, Steve said:

How can it be sloppy when the barcode ceases to work at the end of a period? It will expire at some point. May not be on the exact date but will one day.

Yes you brother, sister or friend can use it, why restrict it??? It was designed to be like that. BUT cannot be shared online as a physical card needs to be presented. If it gets abused then the offer will be revoked.

It is sloppy because of exactly what you say, there is no start or finish date on it so I have no idea when it expires, if I don't renew my club membership next year will it be a condition I return it? Where does it state it can only be used if I retain club membership and finally there are no real terms and conditions, how do they know if its abused, the barcode is the same on each card so no way of auditing anything, so yes first class sloppiness. 

Well in a post above you will see that I had to buy a plastic plate to cover a cut that needed to be made in the bumper of my new 2018 Land Cruiser when the tow bar I bought was fitted, had it fitted today and guess what? the fitter did such a good job the plate was not required, what a waste of money! £40 or so for the plastic plate and £35 for painting and lacquer! So if anyone needs a plate painted in Decuma grey let me know!

IMG_7585.jpg

IMG_7598.jpg

1 hour ago, Petetoyota said:

It is sloppy because of exactly what you say, there is no start or finish date on it so I have no idea when it expires, if I don't renew my club membership next year will it be a condition I return it? Where does it state it can only be used if I retain club membership and finally there are no real terms and conditions, how do they know if its abused, the barcode is the same on each card so no way of auditing anything, so yes first class sloppiness. 

At the end of the day it is Halfords who produce the cards and it is Halfords' scheme - which is why the cards state on the reverse that the cards remain the property of Halfords Ltd. They make similar cards available to other owners clubs - you gave Ford owners as an example.

So if you have issues with how the cards are produced or how the scheme operates, use the contact information on the back of the card.

Move on.

• Like 1