Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav remote locking/alarm problem

emin-j

Hi Guys, had a unexpected problem with the Rav today, pressed the unlock button on the remote and nothing ! Doors didn’t unlock and no flashes from indicators, tried a couple of more times but nothing. The red light in the fob was showing well but tried our other key with the same result no response from locks or alarm as this was 5.30 am I didn’t try opening the door with the key as I knew the alarm would go off and panic my family and neighbours !

Left it a few hours then opened the drivers door and the alarm sounded i quickly started the car which silenced the alarm but did notice only the drivers door unlocked the other doors remained locked, toggling the lock switch on the drivers door unlocked all the doors.

The alarm will not turn off using the fobs and just resets to sound again when a door is opened.

We checked for blown fuses under the bonnet plus the fuses under the steering column but all seems ok we then checked for power at the door lock actuator inside the left hand rear panel where it showed approximately 12v but pressing the lock/unlock buttons on the fobs didn’t seem to show any reading on the ‘outgoing ‘ side of the plug but I have purchased a secondhand actuator to try when it arrives.

We tried re-programming the keys which went well with the locks going through the cycling process but no response with the final hold of lock/unlock buttons.

2005 Rav xtr 5 door.

Any ideas guys ?

Ok guys all sorted, it was the lock actuator unit which lives behind the rear left hand panel ( behind the fuel flap ) 

91F89DAB-E761-4DF6-B264-826E1F4BFF8E.png

By any chance, did you find a procedure to disarm the alarm without the use of the keyfob?

I used to fit the alarms at Toyota but other than disconnecting the siren which in the case of the rav 4.2 is under the Battery tray and the siren also contain batteries to sound even if vehicles main Battery is disconnected luckily my siren batteries were shot so I disconnected the main Battery for peace and quiet !

The alarm ecu is tucked up in the left hand side of the dashboard, take glovebox out and small panel at the end of the dashboard next to the passenger door (open the passenger door and look at the end of the dashboard) there is a 10mm bolt that holds the ecu bracket and maybe some sticky butyl tape, the plug in the ecu is covered with a pop riveted cover for security so you would need to drill out The rivets to remove the plug, I don’t know if removing the plug from the ecu would affect the door locking as the alarm loom connects to the locking loom behind the L/H kick panel.

Thanks.  I was actually hoping for some procedure involving key in the ignition, open and close the doors, rub your tummy and pat your head.....

It seems crazy that, if your keyfob Battery dies when the alarm is armed, there is no way short of replacing the Battery to disarm the alarm without dismantling.

29 minutes ago, IanML said:

It seems crazy that, if your keyfob battery dies when the alarm is armed, there is no way short of replacing the battery to disarm the alarm without dismantling.

On all 3 Avensis that I have had (& I admit that only goes back to a 2007 model & all obviously built in Britain unlike the RAVs which are imported) if the alarm is set but your keyfob Battery is flat so you can't disarm you can cancel the alarm simply by starting the engine. The alarm will sound when you open the door with the mechanical key but shuts off when you start the engine (emin-j's original post states that this also occurs in his RAV).

Locking the car with the mechanical key doesn't reset the alarm so you are then good until you replace the fob Battery.

Heidfirst, starting the Rav would silence the alarm but when the key was removed from the ignition the alarm would reset and sound when the door was opened, many of the Toyota range ‘auto arm’ which can be annoying.

1 hour ago, emin-j said:

Heidfirst, starting the Rav would silence the alarm but when the key was removed from the ignition the alarm would reset and sound when the door was opened, many of the Toyota range ‘auto arm’ which can be annoying.

Interesting to know.

I did give the caveat of Avensis experience only but none of my 3 ever did that, you needed to set the alarm via fob. Probably a result of having an alarm added on import rather than designed & built in from the start?

Yes, I think the designers of the Toyota TVSS  IV-D Security System did the job on a Friday.

Either that, or the "backdoor" alarm cancel is in there somewhere, but the secret has not leaked out.