Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I can't take passengers in my Aygo!

flembot

If it is just me in the car driving, then it is fine. But when someone gets in the front seat and I drive over a speed bump, the car can come into contact with the speed bump.

If one or two people are in the back seat of my car (not overweight people either) when I drive over speed bumps the car definitely rubs against the ground. But also when I turn corners I have heard some scary noises - not sure if the car is rubbing off the ground or not, but something is up.

What are the possible causes of this? Bad struts? Or springs?

I need to get the car to the garage and its due MOT soon.

Until I get this problem fixed, I can't take any passengers in my car for the reasons I have stated above. Well, I can tolerate someone in the front passenger seat but I won't take anyone in the back seats for the reasons stated above.

The car is a Toyota Aygo 2006 1.0 Petrol

Probably springs.  Shockers don't really have anything much to do with rude height, only 'bouncyness'.

It is not uncommon to have a broken spring(s)

Sounds more like broken springs to me...get them checked.!

I have taken a photo of both rear springs with my camera and have attached them. 

Do they look worn out to you? 

passenger_side.jpg

driver_side.jpg

Springs look like they've not broken anywhere, usually happens on the top or bottom coil. Unfortunately, all car springs sag with age and the metal fatigues, which affects ride height and stiffness. As yours may have been sitting on the same springs for 12 years, then they could simply need replacing.

• Like 1

Just now, flembot said:

Is this something that could fail the car on an MOT test?

No, you'll be fine!

• 3 months later...
On 9/12/2018 at 3:52 PM, fordulike said:

Springs look like they've not broken anywhere, usually happens on the top or bottom coil. Unfortunately, all car springs sag with age and the metal fatigues, which affects ride height and stiffness. As yours may have been sitting on the same springs for 12 years, then they could simply need replacing.

Been thinking about getting this issue fixed recently... 

Wanted to revisit this issue on this forum. 

Is it possible that I would need to replace the rear shocks as well as the rear springs? (or anything else for that matter?) I am trying to estimate costs

Or should I just get the garage to evaluate it for me and let them tell me?

1 hour ago, flembot said:

Is it possible that I would need to replace the rear shocks as well as the rear springs?

If it were me, then I would replace the shocks at the same time. They're probably well past their best after being on the road for so long. The mechanic will be under the car anyway, so labour charges shouldn't be much more than just replacing springs. Why not get a quote for just springs and springs plus shocks, then decide if it suits your budget.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fordulike said:

If it were me, then I would replace the shocks at the same time. They're probably well past their best after being on the road for so long. The mechanic will be under the car anyway, so labour charges shouldn't be much more than just replacing springs. Why not get a quote for just springs and springs plus shocks, then decide if it suits your budget.

Sounds like a good idea. Think that is what i'll do!

Rear shocks about £50 pair on eBay, fronts about £100. Rear fitting can’t be much, fronts bit more work involved.