Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Considering a Toyota

DaveWebDesigner

Hi

I am looking to replace my woefully unreliable Saab with a Toyota Avensis or Lexus IS 250.

I think I'll most likely go for the Avensis, my dad had a Carina II then an original Avensis both were so well made and reliable, I hope that is still the case.

I'm looking at around 59 - 61 registered cars with automatic box, 1.8 petrol engine, around 30-50k miles.  Are there any particular things to check on these cars, or is it general things to check?

Can you get parts cheaper than from Toyota dealers themselves?  Is there somewhere online I can see what servicing needs doing at what age/mileage?

Thanks!

Dave

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the Avensis club.

You have little to fear, Dave...just go do it....a petrol Toyota with relatively low mileage is usually ultra reliable and long-lived.

Parts are easily available and the service routine simple...doesn't have to be a Toyota dealer.

As with any petrol car just keep up to date with the basics... oil/filter changes etc, and it should give you many miles/years of reliable service.

I would say they are rare in petrol, and even more rare in Tourer (estate) form. add the 2ltr as the economy is not much worse and VED are the same as the 1.8. 

Just make sure that the car is regularly serviced and cared for. I do regular oil and filter services using the preferred grade of 0w-20 oil myself. This includes the oil and air filters. Don't forget the cabin filters.
If you get the 'Nav' version, it must have the SD card with it. The radio will not work without, it if the Battery is disconnected! Owners manual is very handy, and make sure you have the locking wheel nut key. 
I have only driven the auto in a RAV4, but it is similar to the Avensis. You need to drive one to experience the CVT. The EPB has it's quirks. Mine is the early version that auto releases, but you have to engage yourself when switching off. I made the mistake only once! :bangin:

Hopefully you get the space saver spare as a minimum and not that repair gunk. I have a second hand full size alloy as my spare, and it was last used when I clipped the curb tearing the sidewall. No gunk will repair a 1" tear!
For spec TR should be your lowest. You miss a lot of kit like no centre storage cover armrest, no cruise control, no alloy wheels, no bluetooth handsfree (that can be remedied with a bluetooth USB/SD card adapter), and a few minor things. Here is the brochure for the early T27 so you can compare the specs at that time. AVENSIS_tcm-3060-363505.pdf

Hope you find the right car. :thumbsup:    

Hi, Ive literally just bought a 2010 auto petrol estate last week with 18k on the clock for £5k. Its what I term the 'cheap seats' T2 model. Its to replace my recently written off and much loved low miler (23K)  2006 Honda CRV purchased only last January :(. 

Prior to the CRV, i owned a Lexus IS300 Sportcross - forerunner to the IS250. All I can add is....

- Lexus will be heavy on fuel and no estate version anymore

- Avensis is a relaxed, comfy ride. The only thing I am keeping my eye on is the electric handbrake which my local indie - Roy's Toyota, Norwich - warn me costs a lot to fix when it breaks. I drove back from Leeds with it averaging a decent 39MPG. Urban clearly brings that down but i can live with that. 

Things to sort out:

- i want to retro-fit cruise

- fit fogs

Great cars. Great engineering. 

Thanks for all the information folks, that is really useful, great to hear about your cars and that you are happy with them.

I think I am going to rule out the Lexus because we have 2 kids in child seats and I have just read there is not much space in the back!

I assume space in the rear of the Avensis is better?

8 hours ago, DaveWebDesigner said:

I think I'll most likely go for the Avensis, my dad had a Carina II then an original Avensis both were so well made and reliable, I hope that is still the case.

I'm looking at around 59 - 61 registered cars with automatic box, 1.8 petrol engine, around 30-50k miles.  Are there any particular things to check on these cars, or is it general things to check?

Can you get parts cheaper than from Toyota dealers themselves?  Is there somewhere online I can see what servicing needs doing at what age/mileage?

Thanks!

Dave

2012 MY (62 plate) saw the first T27 facelift, if you could stretchto/find one at the right price/mileage it could be worth it.

The 1.8 CVT combo is HonestJohn's favourite version & having had a 1.8 manual for a year now after 2 diesels I can see why  if you do a lot of urban work. It isn't significantly worse on fuel than the manual & whilst it cost more new it doesn't hold that premium s/h.

As Konrad says you probably want a TR trim or better. 1 thing to look for is cracking of the front door skins near the hinges (there is at least 1 thread on here if not more re. this potential issue). By & large though boringly reliable 😛

After 5 years Toyotas become eligible for the lower cost Essential Care servicing scheme at dealers (for Avensis £120 for Silver, £200 for Gold unless there is a special offer on)

The current Essential Care offer is a Silver service and MOT for £99 - available through to December 2019.

I have the old shape T25 Avensis 2008 1.8 vvti. I bought it 18 months ago it was 9 years old with 80k miles. It has now done 110k miles hadn't missed a beat so far. 

My girlfriend got another one after her awful fiesta. Hers is 2007 with 60k miles, owned that for  around 8 months and has been faultless too.

Nice practical comfy cars good for commuting and weekends away camping etc. 

On 9/14/2018 at 11:31 AM, Ebob01 said:

I have the old shape T25 Avensis 2008 1.8 vvti. I bought it 18 months ago it was 9 years old with 80k miles. It has now done 110k miles hadn't missed a beat so far. 

My girlfriend got another one after her awful fiesta. Hers is 2007 with 60k miles, owned that for  around 8 months and has been faultless too.

Nice practical comfy cars good for commuting and weekends away camping etc. 

Edit: I forgot I did have a point with some clutch juddering /chatter but that seems to have 'fixed itself' for now...