Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front lower ball joint replacement T25

AJones

Wondered if anyone had changed their front lower ball joints on the T25 (2006-2008)?

The rubber boot on mine is perishing and weeping oil/grease so looks like it needs replacing, the parts seem cheap enough and it doesn't look too bad a job but I wondered if there was anything waiting to catch you out or whether it's a straight forward job?

I'm going to buy a ball joint splitter - see you can get several types, wondered if anyone had a suggestion on what works best and what fits ok?

Thanks,

AJones

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

I changed my OSF lower ball joint recently. I have a 2006 T25.

It's a fiddly job but easy if you have plenty heat, big hammers and plenty of patience.

there are only 5 bolts to contend with but the one that you have to release to let the splitter in is the most awkward, because you can't get a socket on it so you have to use a spanner, but because it's a nut that is rusty you can't use the open end of the spanner, you have to squeeze the spanner in the space between the cv joint and the nut. When you manage to do this leverage is an issue, so remove the discs and pads. You will need to use a spanner on a spanner for leverage.

however I have had to abandon the NSR as I can't get enough leverage without rounding it, as this side is ok I will leave for another time when I can apply some heat to it.

You are best off going to Mr T for the part, it cost me £82 for both sides , Halfords were going to charge £145.

the tool I bought was £12 and is called a ball joint separator 20-60mm tie rod end lifter scissor garage 1518i, this came from eBay Shopdirect365. You will need to modify the side that goes between the nut and the cv joint however with a grinder so you don't damage the cv joint.

When I get my Movie maker working I will be putting a video on YouTube.

Matt

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links