Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reverse light not working

flembot

The reverse light on my 2006 Toyota Aygo is not working. I have changed the bulb but still no success. 

I've read that the reverse light switch might need to be checked.... but where is that exactly? Don't tell me it is in the engine somewhere... I had my clutch replaced last in February at a local garage. Back then my reverse light was working fine but by about April the reverse light started to flicker and flash - this would occur whether the car was in reverse or not. This continued to get worse until the light completely stopped working. 

I have an MOT coming up soon, and so went out today to pick up a new bulb.. I fitted the new bulb but as I have already explained this has not solved the problem. 

Any ideas?

40 minutes ago, barachello said:

The reverse light sensor is on top of the gearbox. 

Difficult to get to, and remove, I had to remove the battery and battery tray. 

Do I need this fixed for MOT?

1 hour ago, barachello said:

I live in Northern Ireland, and I did for mot. 

Flip sake...

5 hours ago, flembot said:

Do I need this fixed for MOT?

I believe that the reverse light is only part of the new MOT for vehicles first registered after 1/9/2009 (59 plate >).

The reversing lights on my last car were permanently on (53 plate). I disabled them and the car went through three subsequent MOT's with no issue. I wasn't given specifics but, when I asked about it the testing station said it wasn't a requirement.

Why don't you give the place where you are going to have your car MOT'd a call. They'll soon settle it for you.

Reversing lights on vehicles first used after 1st September 2009 were included in the MOT from May 2018:

Some new items are tested during the MOT.

They include checking:

• if tyres are obviously underinflated
  • if the brake fluid has been contaminated
  • for fluid leaks posing an environmental risk
  • brake pad warning lights and if brake pads or discs are missing
  • reversing lights on vehicles first used from 1 September 2009
  • headlight washers on vehicles first used from 1 September 2009 (if they have them)
  • daytime running lights on vehicles first used from 1 March 2018 (most of these vehicles will have their first MOT in 2021 when they’re 3 years old)

See https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018

**UPDATE** 

I had a look under the bonnet to see if I could reach the reverse light switch - I can't but I can reach the cable coming from the switch.

I've attached some photos - the state I found the connection was the red cable disconnected and the white cable connected. I have no idea why the red is disconnected - however, it is. So I plugged it back in, turned the car on and checked the reverse light - it was ON... the problem is that it stays on regardless if I am in reverse gear or not.... so my problem isn't completely solved but it does narrow things down a bit.

Is the switch probably broken or is the connection shown in my photos not look right? Should I try swapping the red cable around from the white cable? 

reverse_light_cable_02.jpg

reverse_light_cable_01.jpg

You said that the lights were okay when you first got the car? It looks to me as if the wire has been disconnected on purpose? From  the symptoms you describe it does appear to be a faulty switch. As already mentioned this isn't an issue with your car when it comes to the MOT, so I can only presume you have need of the lights when reversing. If that's the case I'd simply wire it up to a switch on the dash (not an existing switch but one bought for the job) and turn the reversing lights on and off with that as and when needed. It's a bodge job of course but if you really need the lights and can't repair the actual switch yourself and can't afford to pay someone to do it for you, it's always another option (or last resort). 

I wouldn't bother though. It's really not hurting anything.

1 hour ago, paulie b said:

You said that the lights were okay when you first got the car? It looks to me as if the wire has been disconnected on purpose? From  the symptoms you describe it does appear to be a faulty switch. As already mentioned this isn't an issue with your car when it comes to the MOT, so I can only presume you have need of the lights when reversing. If that's the case I'd simply wire it up to a switch on the dash (not an existing switch but one bought for the job) and turn the reversing lights on and off with that as and when needed. It's a bodge job of course but if you really need the lights and can't repair the actual switch yourself and can't afford to pay someone to do it for you, it's always another option (or last resort). 

I wouldn't bother though. It's really not hurting anything.

That sounds like an interesting idea. However, I am told, by the DVA in Northern Ireland, that if the reverse light doesn't work on the MOT test then it is a fail. 

I think there have been recent changes to MOT testing..... May 2018 comes to mind. I think changes were rolled out then but not sure. 

Any idea what that brown metal looking thing going into the right side of that grey connector is for?

Hi. According to this, even in NI, the reversing lights aren't part of the MOT on vehicles registered before 1st Sept 2009:

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/mot-changes-northern-ireland-come-14670037

Check with your local MOT station. One quick phone call will confirm if this is correct or not. If it is and you can't make the repair yourself, you'll simply have to suck it up and have a mechanic do the job for you. Otherwise, have you any friends or family who could it? 

As for the 'brown thing', it just looks like a holder for the connector. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, paulie b said:

Hi. According to this, even in NI, the reversing lights aren't part of the MOT on vehicles registered before 1st Sept 2009:

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/mot-changes-northern-ireland-come-14670037

Check with your local MOT station. One quick phone call will confirm if this is correct or not. If it is and you can't make the repair yourself, you'll simply have to suck it up and have a mechanic do the job for you. Otherwise, have you any friends or family who could it? 

As for the 'brown thing', it just looks like a holder for the connector. 

Okay. Is the date of registration just the date that the car was manufactured? Either way, I put my reg number into the UK Gov website to check the 'date of first registration' which shows up as 2006.

So it looks like I'm all good for the MOT regarding the reverse light then 😃

39 minutes ago, flembot said:

Okay. Is the date of registration just the date that the car was manufactured?

No, it is the date that it was first registered, taxed etc. with DVLA. A car can sit around in stock/storage for months before being sold so date of manufacture & date of registration can be far apart.

36 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

No, it is the date that it was first registered, taxed etc. with DVLA. A car can sit around in stock/storage for months before being sold so date of manufacture & date of registration can be far apart.

I thought that but just wanted to check. 

I'm glad I won't be or shouldn't be subject to a check on my reverse light.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links