Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid in Neutral

Mick F

At junctions and traffic lights, I always set the handbrake and take my foot off the brake.  This stops the annoying brake lights upsetting the vehicle behind.

If I'm facing downhill, the handbrake needs to be on tighter than pointing uphill or on the level, as I always leave the car in Drive.  Selecting Park and then back to Drive to move off is a hassle plus there's a silly flash of the reversing light as you pass through Park to Drive, and you have to re-press the brake pedal too .................. so I leave it in Drive.

Going to Neutral and setting the handbrake is simple and quick, as it going from Neutral to Drive to move away as it's only a single move and you can do this without pressing the brake pedal.

What is the issue here?  Does it matter?  What do other Hybrid users do?

Mick.

• Like 1

If I am in a long queue of traffic I will put the car into N then apply the handbrake. If the traffic is stop start I will just keep my foot on the footbrake. 

In my hybrid days, I always used N and handbrake, no creep or annoying lights for the person behind.

If you use the brake pedal, I think it may stop the system creep, but the handbrake does not, if I am wrong someone will correct me I am sure.

Using PARK means the transmission is locked and if you get shunted there may be damage.

I vaguely remember something about the hybrid charging system being disconnected in N and after a while you get a message to engage P.

The cars only charge in D, R and P and so if the Battery level is low and the engine is running, then you must be in one of said 'gears'. If the Battery level is high and the engine is running, then it is probably just trying to keep warm, as it were, so using N is probably OK, but not efficient. If you are in D with the handbrake on, you are wasting energy.

• Like 1

As a ‘soon to be’ hybrid owner I’m interested in the answer too....

However, sorry Mike J, but I’m not sure I fully understand your answer...as R is out of the question, D is wasting energy you seem to be saying either N or P ?

14 hours ago, Graham47 said:

As a ‘soon to be’ hybrid owner I’m interested in the answer too....

However, sorry Mike J, but I’m not sure I fully understand your answer...as R is out of the question, D is wasting energy you seem to be saying either N or P ?

I'm going to continue to use Neutral as it's the best way.

The issue of not charging the Battery is a red herring I think, especially round here.  The Battery is never so low that it would any difference whatsoever for a minute or two at traffic lights.  Even if it was an issue, the car would alarm at you!

In Drive, the system wants to creep forwards, and in Reverse it wants to go backwards of course.  If you are stopped with your foot on the brake, the drive is disconnected even though you are in Drive or Reverse.  The trouble is, the stupid designers didn't use the handbrake to disconnect the drive like the footbrake does!  This means that if you are stopped in Drive with the handbrake on, the car is STILL trying to move .................. ie wasting energy.

Selecting Park disconnects the drive of course, but it's a hassle to select it when stopped and deselect it to drive away.

Sitting at a junction or at traffic lights with your foot remaining on the brake is against the UK Highway Code, and also bad car control.  Neutral and handbrake is the correct way to do it in a manual car, so I don't see why a hybrid would be any different.

The main issue really, is that the car creeps in Drive so you have to positively stop it.

Mick.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hand brake and N for me, P is a hassle even if P would change the engine but only if it needs it at the time? i just stick with handbrake and N all the time. 

On 9/15/2018 at 9:49 AM, Mick F said:

Sitting at a junction or at traffic lights with your foot remaining on the brake is against the UK Highway Code, and also bad car control.

Highway Code rule 114 says;

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights.

The idea of keeping your foot on the brake until they stop is to warn the people behind. I always keep my foot on the brake until I am happy that I am safe from the people behind.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eddie G said:

Hand brake and N for me, P is a hassle even if P would change the engine but only if it needs it at the time? i just stick with handbrake and N all the time. 

“P” is for Park and is only meant to be used when the vehicle is parked because it locks the gearbox.

• Like 1