Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris T-Sport Miles out of Full tank?

RyanA95

Hi all, 

Recently bought a T-Sport Yaris (2001), with an intake and exhaust. 

I’m wondering what kind of miles I should get out of a full tank? I picked it up Monday night, filled it up (£50) as the light had come on. Fuel was £1.35 a litre.

It’s currently telling me I’m getting 39.4MPG, I’ve only done 240 miles and I’ve only got 3 bars left. 

Does this seem right to anyone? Wondering what everyone else normally gets out of a full tank.

3ADD9ED9-FB15-4310-B2E0-105AA0336F8B.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

That sounds about right.

Short distance town driving gives 35mpg and adding in the commute takes it up to about 40mpg (I must be doing 45mpg) and if you inflate the tyres to 34psi (presume a set of Michelin Sport level of grip else stick to 28psi) then I take this up to 42mpg average. The fuel light should come on about 350+ miles, I find the fuel gauge not very reliable and can go up as well as down!

Good tyre pressures really do help this car MPG because of its lightweight.

I wanted to post my latest results earlier but needed to do enough miles to make them valid.

I am now getting 46 MPG across 300 miles and so around the quoted figure from Toyota. This is a massive rise. The reason for this rise is two-fold. Firstly my other halfs car is a Honda Civic and it comes with a shift indicator that recommended to shift gears extremely early. This allows the engine to use the torque but the issue with the Civic was that its weight is 1.3 tons so the gains are small. The Yaris T-Sport weight is just 0.980 tons and with a 1.5l engine, the torque per ton was impressive (for a petrol car). Now I am shifting between 1500-1900 revs and was in 5th gear (on the flat) before hitting 30 MPH. This sounds wrong and feels wrong at first but the engine is not labouring thanks to its light weight.

I did do one other thing that may have helped. After doing 100,000 miles on standard supermarket fuel in the summer I used 2 consecutive tanks of BP Ultimate and got just 37MPG but the engine was being cleaned by the additives. I then went back to 95 ron (Sainsbury).

I have decided that this week  I will reduce the tyre pressure back to 29 PSI because the overinflated tyres made it feel less sporty on high-speed bends and this is why we bought this car.

I used to get 350 miles to a tank on a motorway commute sitting at around 70 mph but this has changed since my daily commute of 32 miles each way is a twisty A road where I am up & down the gearbox like a fiddlers elbow :nopity:. I am now getting 300-310 from a tank of fuel but it's way more fun and as for changing gear at 1500-1900, in town I'd agree but on twisty roads where this car is so much fun it's more like 5000rpm in 3rd before changing up  :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Your right I forget about the fun.

I have new tyres (Michelin Sports) and have reduced the PSI to 31/30 and now getting only 42MPG and blasting out of a clear roundabout or so only on occasion.