Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake judder

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi Guys

I did a 300 miler trip today and for the 1st time in my life im experiencing brake judder...worse when braking from 70mph...it comes right through the steering column whereby i can see my steering my wheel SHAKE! And my partner could feel it in the passenger footwell too.

I have no idea where to start looking, i could google but id rather ask you guys first.

The front discs and pads were replaced by myself not so long ago, still look new, pagid brand from my local Halfords. Other than a service and recent cat and lamda sensor change i cannot think of any other mechanical work we’ve done to her, and she has been fine up until today.

Please help. Thank you.

Sammy

Vibration felt through the steering wheel is almost definitely from the front.  I would normally say warped discs but since you've recently replaced yours I'd suggest checking the wheels and tyres first - a bulge on a tyre is enough to give a vibration.

13 hours ago, alan333 said:

Vibration felt through the steering wheel is almost definitely from the front.  I would normally say warped discs but since you've recently replaced yours I'd suggest checking the wheels and tyres first - a bulge on a tyre is enough to give a vibration.

Cheers Alan333, 

yes its definitely from the front, i doubt warped discs too, theyre Pagid branded and look pretty solid, and theyre still pretty shiny

I think ill get rule the tyres and and wheels out first as youve suggested at some point this week, maybe get the balancing checked out too. 

I drove it this morning, 5 miler trip, no judder at all, but thats at 30mph.

Maybe the discs are slightly loose, or maybe over tight, im at a loss with my assumptions at the mo, maybe its a seized slider pins, faulty callipers, debris some where, who knows!

I'm no professional mechanic but badly fitted discs can pull out of alignment with the hub and create brake/steering wheel judder. It's called 'run out'. I'm pretty sure professional mechanics check for run out after fitting new discs by using a special gauge. Certain tolerances have to be observed or the brakes will judder. I guess a google search will give more info. 

Update...

Spoke to a mechanical friend ths afternoon...who advised me to rotate the front wheels to the rear...and check for judder again at 70mph as when i noticed it.

This makes sense and should rule out issues with balancing etc.

Fingers crossed i dont need to replace any wheels for whoever the original owners were, somebody didnt know how to park thats for sure!

Fuether on from this will be inspecting braking system for run out re.the discs...callipers...sliders etc! Which i wish i didnt have to strip down again lol.

Inspecting the discs/callipers etc for run out needs knowledge of what to look for plus the proper tool to measure for it. That you were unaware of the potential for this to happen when you first fitted the discs suggests to me that you would be better off having them checked by a professional mechanic. It won't cost  much to have them checked and the problem identified. If it is run out it would be better to have them re-fitted, properly torqued and tested by a qualified mechanic.

12 hours ago, paulie b said:

Inspecting the discs/callipers etc for run out needs knowledge of what to look for plus the proper tool to measure for it. That you were unaware of the potential for this to happen when you first fitted the discs suggests to me that you would be better off having them checked by a professional mechanic. It won't cost  much to have them checked and the problem identified. If it is run out it would be better to have them re-fitted, properly torqued and tested by a qualified mechanic.

Thank you Paulie B

I agree with you, thank you for your input, i will get everything checked out properly, i will report back soon guys.

Sammy

If it happens only when braking it will almost certainly be an issue with the discs.  Just getting some dirt behind them and the hub when they were fitted would be enough to give vibrations

I would check that the pads are free to move easily on the stainless steel spring clips. Remove them from the caliper bracket and clean off all deposits and rust by scraping or with a wire brush. Wear a dust mask and don't damage the discs. Also clean the pads where they contact the clips. I always remove any paint in these areas with a file. Coat the contact points lightly with grease. Other things to check are:  1.  the bolts holding the caliper bracket on to the hub are fully tight,

2. the caliper slides freely on the pins,

3. the piston moves easily in the cylinder by repeatedly pushing it back in and then applying the brakes (with everything refitted of course!)

Stefan