Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water leak inside car

StephenWelch

Hi i have an issue with water getting into the car through the body work somehow.  When there is light rain both seat belt reels get soaked and I have water in the boot at roof level and also boot level?  I don't understand where it is coming from?  The car is parked and the drive slopes down to the house so how is the rear getting wet if ther eis water ingress?  I have cleaned out the channels and the seals all look ok?  I did some googling and came across this post...

http://teoc.ws/community/topic/57161-water-leaking-damp-smell/

I had the same problem when it rained it it would leak into the passenger footwell, after investigating i found it came from the front sunroof. i undone the front roof lining above the passenger seat, under the roof lining there is a plastice tube which acts as a drain to drain away any excess water in the front sunroof channels, youll see what i mean when you look behind the headlining also you might need to take out the sunroof, 2 x 10mm bolts and it comes off.
you'll need to clear the tube of any muck and make sure its fitted snug onto the drip tube coming out of the sunroof.

Is this the issue and if so how on earth do I sort this one!

Thanks

Stephen

Hello

I see you have a Previa ? I have not heard that the British versions had a sunroof leak problem.

I had a Estima Aeras mk 2 2000 and the front sunroof constantly leaked. So I took it out and towards the front each side you will find a drain channel. Clear around the drain chaneel and poke down a 3.5mm long length of strimmer plastic cable, pulling it back and forth as you go. The drain holes come out behind the front wheels . Refit sun roof and it should be alright for a bit. I eventually bought a new sunroof glass and fittings at around £160. 18 months ago and never opened it again. Stopped the leaking.

So when I had to buy another vehicle because the engine went in the 2000 one ( uneconomical to repair ), I bought an 03 Aeras tin top ( no sunroof ), thus keeping old one for spares as over the 7 years I had it, I had replaced a lot of parts.

Picture shows strimmer line being inserted into drain holes for front sunroof.

Good luck with yours.

Michael

IMG_1171.JPG

Right, thanks for this - sounds like a lovely job.  I'm going to try and poke the strimmer cable all the way!  I have two sodding sunroof's  one at the front and one above the first row of back seats.  I am going to have to try and do this to both as for some reason I am getting water on the boot carpet at the rear pillar.

The strimmer cable is a top tip.

EDIT: Just to add its a Previa 2006

Thanks

Stephen

Hello

The drain holes for the moon roof ( big one ) are harder too get to. They run at back then down to behind back wheels. If you drop the roof lining down at the back you will see the pipes each side.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Michael.  I will check soon.  I have currently taped both sunroofs over for now.  I still get some water in the rear pillars where the jack is kept and on the opposite side.

But I have another problem....

On 9/16/2018 at 5:26 PM, StephenWelch said:

Right, thanks for this - sounds like a lovely job.  I'm going to try and poke the strimmer cable all the way!  I have two sodding sunroof's  one at the front and one above the first row of back seats.  I am going to have to try and do this to both as for some reason I am getting water on the boot carpet at the rear pillar.

The strimmer cable is a top tip.

EDIT: Just to add its a Previa 2006

Thanks

Stephen

Interesting and perhaps a long-term Previa issue. I had a 1996/97 model that used to leak heavily from the front left corner of the factory-fitted sunroof. My wife got used to seating at an angle to avoid the drips 🙂 . I never did find a solution.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links