Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brakes pull to the right intermittently

richardm111

I have only owned the Yaris Hybrid car for 1 month. The very first week it pulled to the right when braking, but only occasionally. Also there is an occasional squeaking noise (like springs) when going over a rough road and sounds to be from the back left. I do not know if this might be part of the same problem.

So I took it back to the main Toyota dealer and they say they can find nothing wrong, for them it braked okay and no spring noises. It has only done 9,000 miles and is 2 years old. There are no codes in the system.

Any ideas?

Do the caliper slide pins need removing, cleaning and re-lubricating? Or is a caliper piston "sticky"?

As the car has only covered 9000 miles in two years, maybe the brakes are sticking on intermittently due to minimal use?

Corrosion due to lack of use I suspect..

On 9/17/2018 at 9:53 AM, mrpj said:

Do the caliper slide pins need removing, cleaning and re-lubricating? Or is a caliper piston "sticky"?

As the car has only covered 9000 miles in two years, maybe the brakes are sticking on intermittently due to minimal use?

We do about 5,000miles a year and some years less.  Never had a problem with brakes needing to be cleaned or lubricated despite the car being left for days sometimes a week between uses.

Mick.

• 3 weeks later...

Take your car to a good independent and ask them to strip down the brakes and clean and lube them. I had sticky brakes on the rear of mine due to crap off the road and general lack of use (though the car itself does about 10k/year and is used frequently).

Just the junk that accumulates between the disc and pads can be sufficient to cause a problem (that was most of my issue). The brakes have so far been great since this was done at the end of last winter. I'm going to have them done again this winter. Cost £50 but worth it! In the end they are a safety item even if they're little-used in normal driving (vs. a normal car that is).