Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Faulty wiper relay?

Fingermouse

Hi! I just got hold of a late 2010 Auris Hybrid. The auto rain-sensing wipers aren't working and the wipers are frequently not returning to the 'park' position.

It seems like this is most likely to be a failing wiper relay — does anybody have any experience with this? And, most importantly, where is this relay located? I can't find the information online but I'm sure it's there somewhere; if anybody could point me in the right direction then I'd be very grateful.

Failing that, I'll just have to ask the garage to take a look at it, but I suspect that they'll charge a lot more than a replacement relay would be.

Thanks!

Hi,

I have no knowledge of this problem.

But this link is to a parts breakdown which might be what you need:-

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/vehicle?c=Toyota&ssd=%24HQwdckgWVlERDhZJVE8EBgUFEB8UFAIRWwgTFmVzYXV7SUlZEF5XFwgTFncvIEgHA3gYdntyeDMyWx4TFkNREQ4WSVZNB2QWGRIRUl8PR0MSBElLbXNgUhFcTGhsXF5IahU%24&vid=0&cid=4&q=

The relay box should feature in panel 8401, that's about a 1/3 the way down the list of panels.

Your relay diagnosis sounds very likely, especially so since the wiper motor itself is made in Japan and well sealed against the weather. Perhaps it was overloaded in the freezing weather earlier this year?

Let us know what happens next.

Thanks for the reply and the link to the parts breakdown — that's exactly what I was looking for!

I've ordered a replacement (relay 85940 02040) and will see if it solves the issue. Now it's just a case of actually getting to the relay... it looks simple enough to fit if I can access it. Hopefully just a case of  taking the glovebox off but we'll see. I'll report back here once the part arrives and I've had a go!

Did you buy the car privately or from a dealer? Was it within the last six months? 

Hi - it was bought privately from a friend, at a low price on the understanding that I would sort out any issues.

I knew there were things wrong with it before going into the deal — it needs an MOT next week and the wiper relay is just one of a series of things to sort out at the moment. Nothing too serious mechanically, but most obviously the previous owner has completely destroyed all the rims of the alloys through bad parking, to the point that at least one tyre also needs completely replacing, and it's covered in dents (it looks it's had an argument with a cricket bat). A shame for such a nice car but I'm determined to get the thing back to pristine condition within the next few weeks/months.

Given its previous treatment, I think taking it off my friend's hands is probably the best thing I could do for it! And for her — she's just a few points off losing her licence...

Well, the car's just passed its MOT despite the faulty wipers. I was told that recent changes to the test mean there's a loophole and wipers can't currently be failed for not returning to home position — which is extremely useful for me, at least.

The Toyota guys seemed fairly convinced that fixing will mean a new wiper motor, and they've quoted me £176.52 for the repair. So right now I'm just waiting for the relay to arrive and (as that's the easiest thing) I'll give that a go first to see if it does anything. If it doesn't fix it then I'll probably pick up a used motor for £25-30 and either fit it myself or get a local garage to do it (depending on how complicated it looks). The wife is telling me to leave it but I'm not heading into the winter with wipers that don't fully work!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, it's all fixed! It was clearly the relay that had failed, despite the garage telling me the motor needed replacing. As this thread is now showing up on a Google search for Auris wiper relay, I should probably just outline how to fix it here for anybody running into the same thing.

The part you need is a relay 85940 02040 and it looks like this:

2921C96C-EC47-4788-8D57-642ACD67D592.thumb.JPG.bf840fb255f35a29f2a56db44099c872.JPG

Should be around £15 from a breaker, obviously a lot more new. Mine was from eBay and is a genuine Toyota part.

It took a while to work out where it was on a RHD car (as most schematics are for the LHD version), although it turns out the position is similar in both cases. It's behind the lower right panel below the steering wheel, where the mirror controls and headlight levelling dial is. This just pulls off very easily:

54F8ECB1-4304-442D-919D-39D2443AED3A.thumb.JPG.56bca8c2942817da992951b069925425.JPG

In this photo you can also just about see the double-locking door relay (which is blue) in case you ever need to get to that. Anyway, the windscreen wiper relay is dead centre once you have this panel off:

D0900170-74FD-44EE-9FD8-233F4453CDD4.thumb.JPG.1d47c2c449f9819dc0bdd5536f37d28e.JPG

Really easy to access, just one bolt and out it comes. Swap the wires and that's it.  One of the easiest repairs it's possible to do on a car like this.

Took about 5 minutes and cost £15. A bit better than paying a garage over £175 to muck about with the motor (or they'd probably just change the relay and then charge me the same anyway). The wipers now park correctly, auto rain sensor works, wash/wipe works - all good.

Thanks to everybody for their advice, and particularly the link to PartSouq which is where I started. For anybody having trouble locating the RHD relay locations guide, here it is:

1426646780_2010AurisRelaylocationsRHD.thumb.png.72325177de4407d1c2c17e4ee8a46c69.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone,

I have a 2016 Toyota Auris hybrid. Recently the wipers does not work when I start it. some time later it woks. Is this due to the relay? If so where is this relay located?

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, related to this, ive got a mk2 2015 non hybird rhd and the rear wiper has stopped working. Ive swapped the motor with one from a scrapyard but still no good. Fuse is ok so i thought id try the relay next. But i cant find it!, looked behind the panel undr the dash as shown above and where the parts diagram suggests it is but no sign of anything obvious, taking a few more panels off so i can look up beind the incstrument cluster didnt reveal anythung either. Anyone taken one out of a mk2 auris that can give some advice where it is, or a photo? Otherwise i can justr keep taking the dash apart hoping its in there somewhere!.

Or is the relay box only for rain sensing wipers?

any help appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2023 at 9:32 PM, cambi said:

Hi all, related to this, ive got a mk2 2015 non hybird rhd and the rear wiper has stopped working. Ive swapped the motor with one from a scrapyard but still no good. Fuse is ok so i thought id try the relay next. But i cant find it!, looked behind the panel undr the dash as shown above and where the parts diagram suggests it is but no sign of anything obvious, taking a few more panels off so i can look up beind the incstrument cluster didnt reveal anythung either. Anyone taken one out of a mk2 auris that can give some advice where it is, or a photo? Otherwise i can justr keep taking the dash apart hoping its in there somewhere!.

Or is the relay box only for rain sensing wipers?

any help appreciated!

Toyota motors rarely failed unless rusted. Check relays and fuses first. There is main relay on the engine bay for Auris 2. I think for small amperage relays is under the steering wheel on the foot well where the OBD2 socket is.

Toyota like to use multiple identical relays, we can swap them to check the components. I used horn relays before for my AC just because it is simple check and free.

On 9/9/2023 at 7:27 AM, AisinW said:

Toyota motors rarely failed unless rusted. Check relays and fuses first. There is main relay on the engine bay for Auris 2. I think for small amperage relays is under the steering wheel on the foot well where the OBD2 socket is.

Toyota like to use multiple identical relays, we can swap them to check the components. I used horn relays before for my AC just because it is simple check and free.

Sadly not. seems its an entire dash apart/ out to access this daft relay. So poor design and reliability = big bill, good work toyota

2 hours ago, cambi said:

Sadly not. seems its an entire dash apart/ out to access this daft relay. So poor design and reliability = big bill, good work toyota

It is still doable by most DIY. Not extremely difficult. No pipes or heavy stuffs need to be removed. It is not easy but I agree, relays and fuse should be easily accesible. 

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2014/auris-hybrid-ukp/zwe186l-dwxgbw/1_166520_038_519W/electrical/8401_switch-relay-computer/4

yes the bit where it says step 1 remove most of the dash is painful!

http://zatonevkredit.ru/repair_manuals/raw_content/7d2e02QB5quhSDuVdhDH

On 9/9/2023 at 7:27 AM, AisinW said:

20 hours ago, cambi said:

yes the bit where it says step 1 remove most of the dash is painful!

http://zatonevkredit.ru/repair_manuals/raw_content/7d2e02QB5quhSDuVdhDH

First, you need to check properly if it is indeed the part that failed. Proper diagnostic will cut cost and time. 

You should ask @Fingermouse ,  He had done it in Auris 1, the Auris 2 should be similar and understand what should be aware of

The diagram is http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2014/auris-hybrid-ukp/zwe186l-dwxgbw/1_166520_038_519W/electrical/8401_switch-relay-computer/4

I think we can try to remove the glove box (just like when we change cabin filter) and the small plastic flap under it.  And see if we can access it from there.  It is probably accessible without removing the whole dashboard. 

wiperAuris2.JPG

i think he just swapped it out as it was easy to get to and theyre only £25 from a scrapyard. I assumed wiper motor had gone so swapped that so its just relay or wiper switch i suppose, actually probably quicker to take the wiper switch off and check fucntion with a meter and see if its that.

Its not under the dash, ive been and taken the footwell panels off (rhd car) and couldnt see it so i assume its buried behind the radio/ centre dash somewhere. I'll take that out next and see if its accesible, or visible at least.

I dont have a diagnistic kit, i was looking at carista so maybe i can buy a month subsription for that to do a diagnostic, still probably cheaper than getting agarage to plug in for half an hour.

I think we can try 1 week trials with generic OBD2 or 1 month with Carista device. If we really need, there is an option for perpetual subscription.

• Like 1

You also have a one year replacment warranty against defects at least on some scan tools.

This is hardware defects not software problems.