Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PHEV

altocumulus

Yes, sounds about right.  I have to use the sensitivity adjustment quite a lot.

That said, this is the first Auto wiper system I've come across that I haven't wanted to disable.  Yes, it's a bit of work, but most of the time it more or less does what I want provided I set the adjustment to the appropriate level for the amount and type of rain.

Ironically, this is also the first version of the Prius where there is an option to turn it off and make the adjustment ring a good old-fashioned variable intermittent.  Only downside, you need to get the dealer to do it or have one of the OBD connectors and appropriate software.  Some owners of earlier models found that if they disconnected the sensor it also turned the system back into variable intermittent, but obviously the sensor system of the Gen 4 is linked to the other safety systems.

It seems a standard Toyotaism. The variable adjustment on all the 7 cars I've had have been poor, neither one thing nor the other.

On another note - the rear window, yes ok it's quirky and possibly helps the aerodynamics, but I'd much rather have wipers to keep the damn thing clear! Rainex helps, but isn't as good as wipers on the rear.

On 12/6/2018 at 12:12 PM, altocumulus said:

It seems a standard Toyotaism. The variable adjustment on all the 7 cars I've had have been poor, neither one thing nor the other.

On another note - the rear window, yes ok it's quirky and possibly helps the aerodynamics, but I'd much rather have wipers to keep the damn thing clear! Rainex helps, but isn't as good as wipers on the rear.

Auto wipers that need constant adjustment  :laugh:. Ah yes, yet another Toyotism, the rear screen. It's fine at speed, just dont stop! Mind, on the Gen4 I found the wiper was great for a left hand drive, hardly cleared much at all for a right hand drive. Unusual for a Japanese car, that is normally a European modified for right hand drive quirk. As for RainX I found that builds up and yellows, then starts to peel. It looks as though the rear glass is treated like the side front windows to repel water, just need stronger gravity for it to work!

Dictionary explanation of Toyotaism. It's reliable for a long time, just does not work as you want it too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/5/2018 at 11:45 AM, Phil T said:

On my extended run last night the S-flow display never changed. despite trying the dual button with S-flow on or off. In fact the display stayed showing both temperature displays. But the headlights were a great improvement.

I think it might be that the display only changes to show a single temperature once the cabin has reached that desired temperature. I noticed that mine went to 'single' view the other day, when it was notably warmer outside. Usually it sticks with both temperatures being displayed.

On 12/6/2018 at 12:12 PM, altocumulus said:

This is actually something I would have said Toyota were really good at! My Auris, Gen3 and PHV have all been pretty much spot-on in their operation, if left on max sensitivity. On very rare occasions when they decide to go mental and run faster than necessary, turning the collar to reduce the sensitivity actually seems to provide a useful fix without switching them off completely.  

This is in complete contrast to the system on my GS which also has a collar but even on max sensitivity will regularly allow the screen to become completely obscured before offering even a single desultory sweep. Once it's finally got going, it doesn't like stopping either, and will routinely continue squeaking across a bone-dry screen long after the rain has stopped. Worse, there is a little button on the stalk to push to enable or disable automatic wiping (as well as the stalk position) but instead of this switching to manual intermittent mode it just turns the wipers off! You need to be in Park, and hold it down for 3 seconds, to activate intermittent mode. Lexusism could be similarly defined to Toyotaism I think, with a smigeon of extra poshness and an extra dose of ergonomic insanity!

As for the rear screen, I actually prefer that without a wiper as it looks so much better. Besides, I find a covering of rain and dirt helpfully provides a little diffusion of a following car's Germanic headlights.

3 hours ago, Ten Ninety said:

... You need to be in Park, and hold it down for 3 seconds, to activate intermittent mode...

Interesting ... sounds better than the Toyota option of having to go to the dealer for the setting to be changed (unless you have access to an OBD tool).

Lamp adjustment, somewhere between 12 and 15 'clicks' proved right? Perhaps I should have read something like this with my RAV4s - I thought it was "as was"! They were awfully poor headlamp and couldn't wait to get high beam switched in.

Will have a go this morning.

I've now done 300-odd miles on 15 clicks up, and I've been flashed twice. Once was as previously described when cresting a hill where the lights were pointing upward, the other was rounding a corner when the nearside beam was briefly elevated and the oncoming driver was one of those idiot quick-draw flashers who must drive round with their finger permanently on the stalk. 

However, it is also worth noting that I'd get flashed at least twice as many times when commuting in the Lexus every week, and that's as it came from the factory. It's an East Anglia thing - when I drove the Lexus around Yorkshire and the North East in the dark, I never got flashed once. Sadly, Suffolk is chock full of morons who think the national speed limit is 35 and have to slow down to 20mph every time they see an oncoming car because they stare straight into its lights...

3 hours ago, Ten Ninety said:

However, it is also worth noting that I'd get flashed at least twice as many times when commuting in the Lexus every week, and that's as it came from the factory. It's an East Anglia thing - when I drove the Lexus around Yorkshire and the North East in the dark, I never got flashed once. Sadly, Suffolk is chock full of morons who think the national speed limit is 35 and have to slow down to 20mph every time they see an oncoming car because they stare straight into its lights...

Oh no it's not. People round here slow for a kink in the road not just for oncoming cars. I thought it was an age thing, apparently not :blowup:

• Like 1

It's uncanny, I thought it was just a thing! The number of cars I get behind that brake on every corner - and not only at night!

Don't they know bends are for practicing your drifting  :crazy:

• Haha 1

On 12/1/2018 at 1:55 PM, Ten Ninety said:

Thanks again Phil, your guidance made it very easy to find where to adjust. I've gone 15 clicks up - not sure if that symbol means 1 click = 1% higher.

By clicks I assume you meant the teeth marks moving. 15 would just about suggest a complete revolution of that wheel?

Measurement wise (before change) the top of the lights on the car is at about 70cm; the beam on the offside was also at 70cm onto the garage door - the onside at 73cm.

I managed to get a small spanner onto the nut on the offside, whilst the onside needed a driver. Oddly on the onside wheel the teeth were obscured by a plastic cover (?) and I could only move the wheel by moving it outside that slot. Despite moving both I didn't see any perceptible change in the beam at 3 feet onto the garage door, so I'll have to gauge the change on the travel.

When you use a screwdriver to do the adjustment, you get a bit of a 'click' each time you turn that equates to one tooth moving. I counted 15 each side.

I would suggest using a screwdriver rather than a spanner - it's dead easy poking it down the 'funnel' each side.

1 hour ago, Ten Ninety said:

When you use a screwdriver to do the adjustment, you get a bit of a 'click' each time you turn that equates to one tooth moving. I counted 15 each side.

I would suggest using a screwdriver rather than a spanner - it's dead easy poking it down the 'funnel' each side.

Thanks Jay, I can't hear clicks, so just counted notches. The onside one difficult to do directly down the chute.

At about  25 metres the beam moved about 10-20cm that proved a big difference. At 3 feet you would hardly see any difference. I think it could still go up some more but it's good enough for me now.

• Thanks 1

Toyota GB, probably Toyota EU and possibly Toyota Japan, have confirmed that my vehicle does not have pre-heat/chill fitted as per the brochure. The brochure will be amended, firstly with the online copies.

They have also confirmed that the AutoBeam (mentioned elsewhere by Jay) doesn't conform to the description in the manual, this will also be amended. The AHS system was designed to be activated at a speed above 60km/h (37 mph) activating when the vehicle is assumed to be driving on a motorway or other high speed roads. 

What happens to those who bought the car based on the brochure specs, but got a pup! When I had a similar problem with a Nissan Xtrail the brochure specified "Privacy glass to the rear and tail windscreen". It came with clear glass in the rear screen. After much argument, the dealer said there was no comeback from Nissan, but was prepared to tint it themselves. I notice on the web that Toyota state specification may differ in your region, so I would imagine Tough Shite, we have a getout!

It's a bit like the Toyo tyres they fit. On one German tyre test site I found their stopping distance was 14 metres longer than the best in test. That's longer than a London bus, frightening. And on noise, Toyo have across the range many tyres that drivers complain about the tyre noise, on concrete and course asphalt, I have to turn the radio up loud , other drivers often likening it to a knackered bearing. I frequently spin up the tyre in the wet so have no confidence in them at all, which brings me to the Winter Tyre debate.

On 11/16/2018 at 4:10 PM, altocumulus said:

Hi Phil,

Yes, that was the review I noticed on Riken tyres, which made me look elsewhere.

Interesting comment on the crossclimate+ especially if it does work as an all-season option; certainly a headsup against the extra set of wheels.

Geoff. How are you doing with changing your tyres.

• Like 1

Tyres, hopefully tomorrow - a second set of wheels - the garage have discovered the car will accept 8 sensors in the TPMS.

Brochure specs, well - the same caveats there is on most things these days (though not new!). At the back of the brochure, likely in small print, is something on the lines of the manufacturer reserves the right to alter specification. I guess they may also say, "ask the dealer" - but they are often clueless (as evidence the pick up of our RAV4 Hy in 2016).

7 hours ago, Phil T said:

It's a bit like the Toyo tyres they fit. On one German tyre test site I found their stopping distance was 14 metres longer than the best in test. That's longer than a London bus, frightening. And on noise, Toyo have across the range many tyres that drivers complain about the tyre noise, on concrete and course asphalt, I have to turn the radio up loud , other drivers often likening it to a knackered bearing. I frequently spin up the tyre in the wet so have no confidence in them at all, which brings me to the Winter Tyre debate.

The Bridgestone Ecopias on my car are no better than the Toyos for noise or grip. From test drives, I thought the Toyos were marginally quieter although that was far from scientific.

I don't much care about grip as they're adequate for my driving style, but it would be nice if someone could make a quiet, ultra low rolling-resistance tyre. I suspect those two attributes do not go well together.

7 hours ago, altocumulus said:

At the back of the brochure, likely in small print, is something on the lines of the manufacturer reserves the right to alter specification.

Similar declarations have been used for years and years across the majority of manufacturers - for example the following was extracted from the December 1998 Toyota Corolla brochure:

"Whilst every effort is made to reproduce accurate information, we reserve the right to change specifications, equipment and availability without prior notice. This brochure cannot be regarded as infallible, (some of the vehicles shown may not be to exact UK specification), and as such does not constitute an offer for sale of any particular vehicle or specification.

1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Similar declarations have been used for years and years across the majority of manufacturers - for example the following was extracted from the December 1998 Toyota Corolla brochure:

"Whilst every effort is made to reproduce accurate information, we reserve the right to change specifications, equipment and availability without prior notice. This brochure cannot be regarded as infallible, (some of the vehicles shown may not be to exact UK specification), and as such does not constitute an offer for sale of any particular vehicle or specification.

Indeed. There is no legal redress for buying a car based on false information in a brochure. However, if the manufacturer knowingly continues to publish information after admitting that it is incorrect, I suspect that would put them in breach of UK advertising laws. We'll see whether Toyota are true to their word on making the changes to the PHV brochure. If they are, it will restore some of my faith in them being merely incompetent rather than dishonest.

Wheels with winter tyres now on. I'm told they are just slightly more noisy than the Toyos...10% off wheels and sensors thanks to the Club....:thumbsup:

Whilst waiting at the garage to have them fitted, Aygo & Yaris were both rubbing the PHV's nose in it! They both had privacy glass in the rear!!!!

9 minutes ago, altocumulus said:

Whilst waiting at the garage to have them fitted, Aygo & Yaris were both rubbing the PHV's nose in it! They both had privacy glass in the rear!!!!

Amazing that an Excel doesn't have it. Should only cost £130-150 to get film fitted if you really want it - I had it done to my Avensis TS Bus. Ed. .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Amazing that an Excel doesn't have it. Should only cost £130-150 to get film fitted if you really want it - I had it done to my Avensis TS Bus. Ed. .

Indeed....but if a 'flagship' doesn't have it as a standard ..... 😄

I'm glad it doesn't have privacy glass - I know it's good at keeping the car cool in the summer but I think it spoils the look of pretty much any car. Give me style over practicality any day of the week - that's why I bought a PHV! 

Yes there is no real advantage over plain glass unless you keep your valuables in view, and it looks better.

I tried for a winter discount on tyres at my garage and the best they would do was matched Blackcircles price plus fitting and vat. So much for matching the competition. I have opted for Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2 for £269. Michelin Cross climate + were hard to find any in stock or the next few weeks. In the tests they were very close.

Im inclined to bin the Toyos, I cant believe anything can be much worse, after reading some peoples comments on their driving behaviour and my own experience.