Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handbrake Cables

Mick Weavers

Hi Folks.

I am a newbie, I was hoping someone could run me through what is the procedure for renewing handbrake cables. On a 2001 Toyota RAV 4, Any help would be great.

Mickw

This job is best done using a pit or ramp - it's not at all easy if you use axle stands - it's necessary to get the car a fair way off the ground. 

Slacken off the adjustment at the handbrake. With the rear wheels removed - remove the brake callipers, calliper brackets and brake discs.  Unclip each cable from the brake shoe lever and remove the small bolts that secure the cables to the backplates.

There are several clips which fix the cables to the floor / chassis - remove these. Unfortunately the cables are clipped above the fuel tank so the fuel tank needs to be dropped for access - this in turn requires the propshaft and exhaust to be removed!! Disconnect the cables from the balance rod. Replace the cables - adjust the handbrake shoes and finally adjust the system at the handbrake. You may need to readjust after a few weeks after the cable has stretched.

Dropping the fuel tank is no fun and there is potential for damaging fuel lines, brake lines, tank straps etc etc. There are a few shortcuts that have been used to avoid dropping the tank. One of the most common is to tug the cables too and fro to break the clips above the tank or use a thin flat bar to dislodge the clips. Use the old cable (cut it off just beyond  the tank) to pull through the new cable. Often a length of rubber hose is slipped over the cable to prevent chafing and / or the cable drumming against the floor.

It's always a bad idea to replace just one handbrake cable on an older car. On a Rav - it's a no brainer given the effort involved in dropping the fuel tank etc. Often the new cable will run a lot easier than an old cable and it may be difficult to achieve an acceptable brake balance (potential MOT fail)

• Like 1

Thanks for that,sounds like a nightmare. There is a chance I may be able to free the old ones by injecting penetrating fluid into them and pulling to and fro from both ends. I might try that first.

Mick

Worth a try. Sometimes the nylon covering on the inner cable breaks up at the wheel end and jams the cable where it enters the outer cable. It’s worth slackening the cable adjustment and cleaning off the cable as you pull it in and out of the outer.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links