Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 sub frame rust prevention treatment products and technique advice please 🙂

Jammacat

My new wee jeep!! Totally in love with my 15 year old dinky Rav4. I want to keep it for many many years Will do my best to make that happen. 

So I am a bit put of the Tetroseal, because although excellent, it is quite a gloopy mess. Next summer I want to get it fully rust treated I don't know if Tetroseal would make that job harder. Also I want a transparent sealant so I /my mechanic can keep tabs on what's going on. It has no major corrosion just surface corrosion check up on ramps. 

However winter is coming. I've been quoted £80 for a wire brush and waxoyl coat underneath. 

I don't really understand how it's done but I asked do they clean first they said no they woould wire brush it but I can wash it beforehand if I want to.... 

Should they remove anything like the wheels to make sure they get it fully coated? 

I think I prefer Dinitrol but they said they only use waxoyl, as I'm short of time weather wise should this be a problem if I want to get it redone with something else next year during good weather. 

(They can keep it in garage to dry for a few days which I thought was nice and cancel if weather is bad is no problem.)

I really appreciate any brilliant advice and solutions!! You guys have already been really so helpful!!  Loving my Little RAV sooo much!! 

20180914_155917.jpg

I had my Estima wax oiled and very pleased with the job. They removed under body trims and masked brake components and cleaned and sprayed all cavities. If all that work is done for £80 that's a good price. Mine being a bigger car was more expensive, 

• Thanks 1

Yes that worried me a bit  ... How much did you pay for that if you don't mind me asking please?

Personally I’d wait and get the job done once. Steam cleaning is a essential part of rustproofing - it cleans difficult to brush areas and cleans off any salt. Tests done over the years by motoring magazines don’t indicate a huge difference between rustproofing fluids. However if you want a clear finish - some products don’t fit the bill. The favoured product by classic car owners is Dynax -it’s a top class product and it’s available in clear -very important to a classic owner.

• Thanks 1

I really appreciate that, that's what I'd like. If it were summer or better weather that's what I'd be doing right now because I've got no garage. 

So no risk with no protection at all for just one winter? Or if I get it terosealed will that steam clean off? 

Please, my last question, how do or who or what do I need to Google to find a professional sub frame service? 

First of all - rustproofing centres work through the year so you can get your car rustproofed anytime - no need to wait until summer. It's a different kettle of fish with DIY because in winter it's difficult to get surfaces dry and products like Waxoyl are difficult to apply when it's cold. There's not going to be a significant deterioration in underbody condition over a few months - just high pressure water jet the underside at the end of winter. The 4.2 isn't a rustbucket - it's quite well protected from new and there are numerous examples of Rav's of a similar age to yours which have never had additional rustproofing and structurally will go on for many more years without a rust issue. I've just sold my wife's 2001 3 door which was absolutely solid underneath - it had never been garaged and in the years we owned it - all I did was HP water jet the underside from time to time ( I did attend to the problem areas indicated in my initial post). 

If you google "vehicle rustproofing" you'll come up with a number of operators. There's a list of outlets on both the Dinitrol website and Waxoyl website - Waxoyl have a number of centres in the west Midlands. 

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

• Thanks 1

Many thanks gj, that's smashing, all I need to know, wow you looked after that well. I'd have bought it 😊