Sign in to follow this  
Dawnwtwins

Great puffs of white smoke from exhaust!

2016 RAV4. Somewhat high miles but well maintained. Just had Oil changed last week (at a shop - not by my son 😉) noticing a strange VERY heavy intermittent puff of white smoke from exhaust pipe while driving on highway (not at startup). No rhyme or reason to when it happens (Ie. Hard accelleration etc). Do I need to take this back to shop? Did they mess up? Did they overfill something and it will stop? Am I in for an expensive repair like head gasket? 

Widowed Mom here with little auto skills. I’m never sure if I’m being taken advantage of. Thanks for any thoughts you may have

Hi Dawn, welcome to TOC 🙂

Where are you from & what engine? If you are in Europe & running a diesel it could just be your DPF regenerating but I suspect that you are in North America.

On 9/21/2018 at 2:13 PM, Heidfirst said:

Hi Dawn, welcome to TOC 🙂

Where are you from & what engine? If you are in Europe & running a diesel it could just be your DPF regenerating but I suspect that you are in North America.

In USA (no I didn’t vote for him 😱) and running unleaded

This is a mostly UK/European forum so we have different engine options from you - you might do better finding a North American forum for RAV/Toyota owners.

In the meantime just keep an eye on the coolant and Oil level on a regular basis.