Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto Express Driver power - Auris is #10

oldcodger

Hi,

Been thinking of a replacement for the old Corolla and this weeks Auto Express magazines  Top 100 Used car Review details the Auris up near the top at number 10, which is quiet a bit different to the usual reviews where its often classed as a bit dull and  just 3* out of 5.

Do forum members think 10th place  is well deserved  ?

See the Lexus IS came in at number 1,  nice but still expensive.

When it comes to subjective opinion it is what you think that matters, not what others say. Reliability is objective and so it is reasonable to take other opinions into account.

Had I based my purchase of an Auris in 2010 on popular press comments I wouldn't even have considered it, however as it turned out I formed my own opinions by looking and test driving and can genuinely say it has been the most satisfying car I have owned.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Been thinking of a replacement for the old Corolla and this weeks Auto Express magazines  Top 100 Used car Review details the Auris up near the top at number 10, which is quiet a bit different to the usual reviews where its often classed as a bit dull and  just 3* out of 5.

Interesting as on the website it is no. 4 (with the 3 above all other Lexus/Toyota) https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/driver-power/86787/most-reliable-used-cars-2018

Agree, it's all subjective. Compare with Top Gear Magazine's review: "Probably the worst driven car in Britain". :angry:

But you know what? Who cares? Car reviewers often hang onto outdated stereotype impressions from 10 years ago, and they tend to miss everything that's changed and improved. Why, I can remember Clarkson opining that all Volvos ought to carry a sign saying "Pass quietly, driver asleep". :biggrin:

My 2014 Auris 1.6 petrol Touring has the improved multipoint rear suspension, and I'd say it's pretty damn good. Not quite as good around the bends as the wife's Golf, to be truthful, but still good. I put Michelin Primacy 4s on the front wheels this year, and oh my goodness, the roadholding is sooooo much more lively.

As for me, I like the huge boot (on the estate) and the fact that things don't seem to go wrong. I could wish that the nearside A pillar wasn't quite so obtrusive, but I think that's because of the safety design. I've driven it all over Europe, and it's a good'un. Deserves to be better appreciated.

Usually car surveys provide an indication of how many owner responses were received in total - from the magazine, the Driver Power survey doesn't seem to. 

In the 2018 Which? Car survey, which received 43,000 owner responses (this was open to both Which? members and non-members), both the first and second generation Auris Hybrids, and the Auris Touring Sports were 'Best buys'.

Other 'Best buys' from Toyota were the Yaris Hybrid, the Avensis, the C-HR, and Toyota Prius+.

This thread reminds me of when Chris Evans described the Aygo as appalling. Yeah, obviously after driving million pound super cars, the Aygo will be bland in all areas, but as Countrylad quite rightly says, who cares!

The big publications need to have people who drive the same class of car regularly, to give a more unbiased opinion. Not some jumped up p**ck, who thinks they know it all coz they can talk crap on the radio and get paid obscene amounts of cash.

• Like 2

Have owned a 1.6 tourer (2014) from new and it's the best car I've ever had.  Fine to drive, lots of space (although rear legroom isn't as good as some - but we rarely use them) very economical (at least as good as combined mpg all the time), so far no problems mechanically.  Not exciting, not great/beautiful inside, relatively few gadgets but built to last.  Never owned a car more than 3 years, after 4yrs ownership I expect to keep it at least another 4yrs.  Avensis tourer (2017) we have is fine, more modern and comfortable but if I'm honest I prefer to drive the 4yr old auris!  

8 hours ago, fordulike said:

This thread reminds me of when Chris Evans described the Aygo as appalling. Yeah, obviously after driving million pound super cars, the Aygo will be bland in all areas, but as Countrylad quite rightly says, who cares!

The big publications need to have people who drive the same class of car regularly, to give a more unbiased opinion. Not some jumped up p**ck, who thinks they know it all coz they can talk crap on the radio and get paid obscene amounts of cash.

they also need somebody who drives them for more than an afternoon/day & has to consider that they were paying for it themselves out of an average income. Many people who fit that will not be buying brand new cars & indeed will be running them for more than 3 years of a PCP - not quite bangernomics but at least 1/2 way there.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links