Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Test drove a 2006 Corolla and EML came on - help?

APNG

Hi all,

I'm interested in purchasing a Corolla and took the one I had in mind out for a test drive, it is a 2006 model 'T Spirit' with an 1.4 VVT-I petrol engine.

What concerned me most was that the EML came on during the test drive, the car still drove perfectly but I have some queries and hopefully someone here has the knowledge to help me out.

I was informed that the EML appeared due to one of the camshaft sensors, unfortunately I didn't have my OBD2 tool with me to confirm but what I did notice was that the car had an erratic idle engine RPM, can this be related? If it helps when I was also driving and changing up a gear the RPM of the engine would also increase (and I'm sure it wasn't due to me being on the acceleration pedal).

I really like this Corolla and have read some good things about the reliability of the engines, but I'm not sure if I'm investing in a problematic car or not..

Thanks for reading!

Why not say to the vendor if they get the faults sorted out you'll have the car. Suggest that they might have trouble selling the car with problems. Worth giving it a try.

13 minutes ago, TP49 said:

Why not say to the vendor if they get the faults sorted out you'll have the car. Suggest that they might have trouble selling the car with problems. Worth giving it a try.

That is what I intend on doing, they are going to replace the sensor and I will take it out for another test drive hopefully next week. My main concern was whether or not this faulty sensor could explain why the engine had an erratic idle or if it could be another separate issue?

4 hours ago, APNG said:

when I was also driving and changing up a gear the RPM of the engine would also increase (and I'm sure it wasn't due to me being on the acceleration pedal)

My previously owned 2005 Avensis 1.8 petrol did this, as did another one I test drove.  I think they all do it - you get used to it quickly.

It could be the mass air flow sensor on the Air Filter box. If this is not working correctly, the Revs will be all over the place because it will give false air to fuel mixture readings to the ECU. Get the OBDII on it to see what the codes are before buying else it could be expensive to fix up. And use this to negotiate the price.

Hi,

If the vendor knew of the fault why did they not fix it before the test drive ..???

Are we talking  dealer or private seller ?

Plenty more Corollas out there......

1 hour ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

If the vendor knew of the fault why did they not fix it before the test drive ..???

Are we talking  dealer or private seller ?

Plenty more Corollas out there......

It's a small independent dealer, he tells me he did know about the fault and had changed 1 of the camshaft sensors and believes it's happened again as they must have change the incorrect sensor (apparently there's 2?).

Yes, I have seen another which looks nice but it is 60+ miles away..

2 hours ago, DeTomato said:

It could be the mass air flow sensor on the Air Filter box. If this is not working correctly, the Revs will be all over the place because it will give false air to fuel mixture readings to the ECU. Get the OBDII on it to see what the codes are before buying else it could be expensive to fix up. And use this to negotiate the price.

Ah okay good to know, hopefully it is something minor like this. I'll definitely be taking my OBDII scanner with me next week.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links