Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P2002 code (check engine system, Check VCS system, check 4WD system)

BozBozBoz

Hello - anyone able to give me some quick advice.  I have a 2006 Rav4 (T8 D4D model)

On Thursday the check engine light came on with the messages Check Engine System, Check VCS System, Check 4WD system.  Luckily I was on my way to the toyota garage to get the brakes done, so they looked at it.  Came up with P2002 particulate trap error.  On investigation the port into the exhaust for the exhaust fuel addition injector was found to be blocked.  They cleaned out the port and stripped and cleaned the EGR valve, then carried out DPF regeneration. 

24 hours later the check engine light is back with all the above errors.  Garage is shut til Monday and I was due to take the car away on holiday tomorrow night...

Bit annoyed given I spent a reasonable amount of money to get the fault cleared, but I am wondering if there is any chance that the system has tried to do a DPF regeneration and failed (I do mostly short journeys) and then has re-tried today because it failed the last time it tried one and also failed (light came on just as I was slowing for a junction both times).  Is it worth me taking it for a bit of a run to see if it regenerates and clears itself, or should I avoid driving it, take the other car away with me and just call the garage first thing on Monday to get it booked back in as soon as possible?

I should add - I know absolutely nothing about cars beyond what my mechanic, (and a quick google) has told me, and I know the P2002 fault was a thing Toyota extended the warranty on these cars for back when they were newer. Mine is 12 years old, but only just at 79,000 miles (or thereabouts).

Don’t be concerned about the error message, they’re a catch-all that display with many faults. If the engine hasn’t gone into limp mode, the DPF might regenerate and extinguish the engine light if you drive for at least 30 minuites at 50mph or so. I would avoid taking the car on holiday until you prove that the DPF can regenerate successfully over a period of time. Otherwise you may find yourself stuck  away from home with the car in limp mode. If the DPF doesn’t regenerate - get it back to the garage.

Should it really need to regenerate again only 24 hours and maybe 40-50 miles after a successful forced regen at the garage though? That seems odd to me?

If regenerated fully - it shouldn't need to regenerate after covering such a small mileage. P2002 can come up for many reasons - obviously because of a restriction in the DPF, but can be caused by restricted impulse lines, air leaks etc etc. Hence my suggestion to properly do a regeneration. If this fails and the check engine light stays on - take the car back to the dealer.

I'm of course making the assumption that P2002 is currently causing the check engine light to illuminate. Whilst this is probably the case - there may be a different fault that's triggering the light.

Took it for a 40 minute run on the nearest we have up here to a motorway (singe carriageway A road, with some 50mph sections, and some bends to slow for, but mostly 60mph stretches). Didn't take it above 3rd gear, and kept the revs up at about 3000-3500 all the way.  Light stayed on the whole time, so didn't think it had done the trick, but then when I started it up again about an hour later to shuffle the cars on the drive the light has gone, so maybe it did?  I didn't see anything obvious coming out of the exhaust etc, but then they're supposed to do this while you're driving about normally without you noticing anyway, so maybe I wouldn't?

Either way, we've decided to take this one away with us rather than the Citroen (which is unreliable in other ways!) - it may be that a longer run on main roads on the mainland is exactly what the engine needs, and if not and it returns or goes into limp mode, we have recovery, and the chances are that we'll be nearer a bigger garage who might be able to do a DPF bath and see if that helps.

Taking a bit of a gamble, but we'll see how it goes I guess!