Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 avensis 1.8 tr acceleration hesitation.

Matt0892

New here and looking for some help. 

I have a 09 1.8 v-matic avensis which has an intermittent problem. 

Once it's up to temp, I'm getting hesitation under load. It happens in all gears. It also seems to happen more often after using cruise control. 

I have changed the plugs, coils, air filter, cleaned tb (torqued back to correct specs), changed oil and filter (0-20w oil used). Checked for vacuum leaks and couldn't find any. Also cleaned injectors. 

No DTC's are given when this happens. 

Spoke to a Toyota main dealer to arrange a diagnostic, but they said as no DTC's are given it wouldn't tell them anything. 

Has anyone experienced similar issues? 

Thanks

Hi Matt, welcome to TOC 🙂

Sadly can't offer advice on your issue though. 😥

Try disconnecting the Battery for 30 minutes which will reset the ECU. Do this when the engine is cold. After reconnecting the Battery allow engine to idle for two to three minutes before driving. This will allow basic parameters to be re-learnt. 

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/129256-ecu-reset-on-the-133l-seems-to-have-corrected-an-issue/

Could be your cats are clogging up, since you're saying this happens when the car get's up in temp. AFAIK the only way to test if a cat has been clogged up is to measure the pressure before and after the cat. IDK if you have to drill a hole or if you can use the O2 sensor holes for this test though.

This may not be related, but I had slightly jerky at light throttles, when feathering the pedal. I tried cleaning the MAF sensor with CRC air sensor cleaner - 

The MAF sensor is located on the air filter cover -P1120864.thumb.JPG.8513ab8797a7de395909b72b51f1f17b.JPG

P1080225.thumb.JPG.c1c9f7f90347855e9ad5ec441fa9c568.JPG

Undo two bolts and unplug wire connections to remove.

Be careful not to touch or contaminate the sensor. Here are some close up photos :-

P1140325.thumb.JPG.462cf9ebfd1d9fcd0ae1f330060b148a.JPGP1140326.thumb.JPG.f8e7361c061c9591d3ee11d54d64277d.JPG 

I sprayed the cleaner over the following areas:-

P1140327.thumb.JPG.93e1447f478e88c5a0e508e565ebbc35.JPGP1140329crop.thumb.jpg.2c8eeabd7337d5783bf89ec56f7f0a77.jpg  

The sensor was left to dry then refitted.
The car was less jerky and is now much smoother on the throttle. 
Most of the time the engine sits at low to mid rpm (2500), but occasionally I rev it higher, especially when going up steep hills. Fuel consumption is currently over 37 mpg, before was 35. 
I did the cleaning in August.     

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a go and let you know what happens. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all, finally managed to try all suggestions. Unfortunately no joy. 

I have noticed it feels like it's hesitating when something is engaging. So I'm wondering if it could be the acis in the manifold, or when the valvematic system is adjusting the valve timing for acceleration (I hope not!)

My car has behaved most of the time, but occasionally it revs at about 1.5k when I come to a stop. Also on light throttle at too high a gear, the engine hiccups, like it is trying not to stall, then when I did the clutch to change down, it revs off load. If I change down, then the engine stays smooth and revs drop instantly. Does the same if I come to a halt and press the clutch just before stalling. I think it is the ECU anti-stall. 
I also thought of the throttle pedal sensor. I have diagnostics that can check this. Mine is fine.  

• 7 months later...

Just went thru all these and it's ecu fault. I got mine updated with facelift software and it works flawlessly. I had the hesitation on all gear with warm engine. Issue is at least in Finland that car recognizes the ethanol amount wrong from 95 fuel (%10 ethanol). With 98 (%5 ethanol) it behaved better but not flawlessly. Cost me 70€ but had to also change alternator for facelift version, which I got with 110€ from 20000km driven crash car. So with roughly 200€ (had bigger service done at the same time) got mine updated and I'm happy now. 

• 4 months later...
On 11/14/2018 at 10:05 AM, Matt0892 said:

Hi all, finally managed to try all suggestions. Unfortunately no joy. 

I have noticed it feels like it's hesitating when something is engaging. So I'm wondering if it could be the acis in the manifold, or when the valvematic system is adjusting the valve timing for acceleration (I hope not!)

Hi Matt,

Did you manage to solve the problem? I have the exact same symptoms.

22 hours ago, Liemak said:

Hi Matt,

Did you manage to solve the problem? I have the exact same symptoms.

On 6/24/2019 at 5:35 PM, highbeam said:

Just went thru all these and it's ecu fault. I got mine updated with facelift software and it works flawlessly. I had the hesitation on all gear with warm engine. Issue is at least in Finland that car recognizes the ethanol amount wrong from 95 fuel (%10 ethanol). With 98 (%5 ethanol) it behaved better but not flawlessly. Cost me 70€ but had to also change alternator for facelift version, which I got with 110€ from 20000km driven crash car. So with roughly 200€ (had bigger service done at the same time) got mine updated and I'm happy now. 

20 hours ago, highbeam said:

Thanks for the fast response Higbeam! Do you mean the 2015 and up version, with facelift version?

I have a 2009 version and can only find the same type of alternators for 2009-2019, nothing in between.

12 minutes ago, Liemak said:

Thanks for the fast response Higbeam! Do you mean the 2015 and up version, with facelift version?

I have a 2009 version and can only find the same type of alternators for 2009-2019, nothing in between.

Hi right model for my car was OEM-27060-0T181. It has been used before on some avensis verso I think and some other models.

On 11/20/2019 at 9:40 AM, highbeam said:

Hi right model for my car was OEM-27060-0T181. It has been used before on some avensis verso I think and some other models.

Thanks again Highbeam. I checked the number and it is indeed for the 2012 model. A new replacement is 1 size fits all for most of the 2009 and up models. 

Did you get the advice about the alternator replacement from the mechanic who did the software update?

31 minutes ago, Liemak said:

Thanks again Highbeam. I checked the number and it is indeed for the 2012 model. A new replacement is 1 size fits all for most of the 2009 and up models. 

Did you get the advice about the alternator replacement from the mechanic who did the software update?

Yes I did and I trust them since they have won the best Toyota service title for finding and repairing faults. They are actually given a car with made faults and they got 29/30 last year. I also use k&n filter since it has reduced engines response time. Not much but still.

While they updated the software and changed the alternator they also changed my brake vacuum pump. It was scheduled to be changed 15tkm later but it was making very loud noise. This is topical for valvematics. They changed that to face face lift version because there has also been a lot of updates on the part to make it last another 195tkm (changed on 180tkm on mine) without starting to make noise.