Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smartkey Car won't start - Please help

cjnetrider

On 9/24/2018 at 12:04 PM, fordulike said:

With a push button start system, the car can only be started when the brake pedal is depressed. How does your car's security system know that the brake pedal is depressed? There is a brake light switch installed at the brake pedal. It does two things: it turns your brake lights on when your press the brake pedal and lets the security system know that the brakes are applied. If your brake lights don't work, the brake light switch and its circuit must be checked. In some cars, there is an indicator on the dash asking you to press the brake. If the indicator stays on even when you are pressing the brake, the brake switch is also a prime suspect, Brake switch failures are very common.

This is why the brake lights come on when you press the brake pedal before starting the car, or even after you have just switched off.

One thing I haven't tested as yet, that if I press the pedal when the key isn't in the car ........... do the brake lights come on?

Mick.

21 hours ago, Mick F said:

One thing I haven't tested as yet, that if I press the pedal when the key isn't in the car ........... do the brake lights come on?

Just tried it.

Key left in the house, and I sat in the driving seat and pressed the brake pedal.  Brake lights come on.

Mick.