Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 1.6vvti 54plate engine whine ??

shadowman1942

Hello all,

I am pretty poor at what to do with cars and have been stung in the past by garages so would like some advice from people in the know.   I bought the car at 50k miles and it has been the best car ive ever had...  but it now has 102k and it has delivered a supercharger sounding whine when you drive??? It starts fine and no power loss,   anything to be concerned about...…. I am getting someone to change the oil / plugs / filters etc but don't know what to do?

Any advice appreciated.

Hi,

A whine could be so many things ,  its impossible to say from your briefest of descriptions plus you do not mention if its revs related, speed related  or selected gear related ?

However as you seem to describe it as a definite new noise so its not something you should ignore.

I'm always  intrigued by these "someone" that folk mention, a dealer, a garage , an off duty mechanic, a diy friend ?

If you are having an engine service then also change the gearbox oil with the correct good quality oil as thats a possible source of a whine.

Anyone doing such work should at least be able to give some better idea where the whine is coming from and whats needed to correct it.

Would avoid any long journeys as if the fault is something like the water pump or alternator it could let go and leave you stranded.

Thank you so much for the reply... it is rev related when driving...and happens in any gear..... more so under heavy throttle...and higher revs..... but not at a standstill.  It is a friend who is doing the work so I'll ask if he can do the gearbox oil too.  

Many thanks for the advice

Rob

Hi,

Could be so many things, if it sounds more on the passenger side it could be clutch /gearbox related or on the driver side could be alternator, water pump or their idler bearings.

Don't forget more obvious things like a wearing aux belt or a leaking air filter box etc.

Let us know what it was when you find it,  always good to know.

Maybe the alternator bearing. Happened once to me when it had worn.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links