Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starting Quirk?

RJWSuffolk

Hi, my recently purchased 2012 1.0 VVT displays a starting quirk.

From time to time, when turning the (remote) key to turn to start, nothing happens (i.e starter motor doesn't turn at all) but lights stay on.

If I put my foot fully on the brake and the clutch, then it does start fine - car Battery feels good, as turns over nicely. Although once it didn't, but putting on the seat belt, then it was OK. (Which might have been a random thing, and it was just the extra delay)

Then it starts fine for a while. I haven't got a consistent pattern for this yet.

My wife has never experienced this using her (remote) key.

The manual states that the starting procedure is: in neutral, foot on both clutch and brake. My wife just has her foot on clutch, and it starts first time every time.

I'm wondering whether the Battery in my fob needs changing? Is that a characteristic?

Or is it a foible of the car that periodically you need to put feet on both pedals?

Any experiences?

Do you have any other car key on the same key ring? 

Do you have mats that go under the pedals? 

Chances are you simply aren't pressing the clutch pedal enough. A carpet under the pedal can be enough to stop the switch being fully activated. I find in my car the pedal has to be all the way down, a few millimeters off and the car won't start.

Craig.

Another thing that upsets my car with the keyless ignition is having the keys in the same pocket as my iPhone. I think the phone signal is enough sometimes to block the remote signal. Taking the keys out my pocket is enough to cure it.

Craig.

I've had the same thing, although mine's an automatic so just the brake pedal to press.  Each time, I have just taken my foot off the brake, pressed it again and all has been well so I have just out it in the category known as "unexplained".

• 1 month later...

Craggle was right. Talking to the Toyota Service Manager he confirmed that the clutch pedal needs to be right down to the floor - I.e. more than required to change gear. Apparently it can be adjusted, but now I know I just always floor the pedal completely - every time. So problem resolved.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links