Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Struggling to start

Bertie90

Hi All

I'm looking for some help.

My 2009 1.33 VVTi 99k miles manual had a moment today. I turned the key and it kept cranking but no start. Eventually after several attempts (last one was very long) it fired up with a cloud of white smoke. It never smoked before and in fact it didn't afterwards, just upon that particular start. It now starts fine (even the stop start works) but i'm worried it's the beginning of something.

It has a new Battery (2 months old), service was done about 2000mls ago (not the spark plugs), the throttle body cleaned about 8000mls ago and that's it really.

It has got other issues, bad radio unit, occasional heavy power steering and it leaks coolant very randomly and only a few drops and I don't know from where either (it possibly drinks it).

Any suggestions with my original issue will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Alberto

• 2 weeks later...

You are due for a coolant change at 100,000 miles, the next one will be at 50,000 if you use the pink coolant. Maybe it is indirectly connectted to your problem.

Was it started and moved a few yards before this starting problem?

This problem normally occurs if you you use a lot of throttle cleaner, then the car will crank but not start a couple or more times. Then when it does start and you push the throttle the throttle cleaner comes out of the exhaust as white gas. But you cleaned the throttle many miles ago?

Possibly it could be the starter motor is about to go.

It would be wise to check the log book about the spark plugs.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links