Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hill starts

Timbo88

Hi all I'm new to this forum so firstly I shall introduce myself I'm Tim and I live in Derbyshire.

I'm really struggling with hill starts in my yaris (2001) it's my first car as I've just passed my test but I cannot seem to get the hang of hill starts in it I know it will be because I'm a new driver and I'm still getting used to the car but I was wondering if even any of you lot struggle even with experience behind the wheel ? Any tips on how to correct this are welcome also have a nice evening.

Hello Tim - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Is your Yaris a petrol or diesel? And which did you learn in?

Hi thanks for the reply. My yaris is a 1 litre petrol and I did my lessons in a bmw 1 series 1.6 turbo diesel I do understand there is a big difference when it comes to changing from a diesel to a petrol.

Probably find that as the diesel has more torque and pulls away easier from start or low speed, you need to get used to using more revs for the petrol to prevent stalling and rolling back. It is a matter of getting the balance right between enough revs/too many revs, and also clutch control.

I think it is basically a matter of practice and getting used to your car.

Nothing wrong with finding an empty car park which has a slope, and practising starts on the slope. That way one can make mistakes, and not get in the way of others.

Yeah in the diesel I found it so easy and never rolled back. I have been practicing on a hill when it's not busy and I only roll back a little bit but as soon as it comes to stopping in traffic on a hill I start to panic that I'm going to roll back and it's stopping me from driving at certain times just experience and confidence.

Modern cars have all sorts of things like hill start assist that old cars like yours don't. Make sure that you reach the biting point of the clutch before you release the handbrake & then apply more accelerator - you will get used to the car with experience (but yes, you will need more revs with a petrol from a standing start than with a diesel).

As an old timer,you should always start on hills with handbrake applied,and let it off as you ease off the clutch,you will feel the car trying to pull away

47 minutes ago, Joeboy49 said:

As an old timer,you should always start on hills with handbrake applied,and let it off as you ease off the clutch,you will feel the car trying to pull away

While generally good advice, I'd also encourage to practice hill starts with just the foot brake applied since that's the most common way one will have to do it on a daily basis driving around a city.

It takes practice to do all that vodoo with your feet so fast but it'll come with time and then you won't even notice how fast you can do it. Right foot off the brake pedal, left foot immediately gets that biting point of the clutch and right foot is already applying gas.

The good thing with practicing this is that even if you're a bit slow on first you won't roll backwards if you get to that biting point fast enough, it will prevent your car from rolling, although this might depend on how worn your clutch is.

All-in-all driving takes practice, and I mean a lot of practice. It took me almost a year to just get used to my Avensis and that is with me actively researching and experimenting, but also just daily driving in very demanding environments where you just need to start off quickly or you'll be sitting at a junction for 30 minutes.