Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brighter (legal)Headlight Bulbs for Yaris MK1

topgazza

Hi

2005 Yaris Mk1 1.3 colour collection

Am I correct the H4 is the type of bulb I should be getting please ? Also any advice as to the brightest, legal, ones would be appreciated.

I'm also looking to replace both headlight units, non leveling, and there appear to be a few suppliers, not eBay, around but if anyone can recommend someone I would appreciate it

I fitted Osram Nightbreakers more than two years ago and find them very good. The life expectancy (hours) of these brighter lamps is supposedly less but I'm fairly sure those of mine have far exceeded that.

Good on you for wanting to stay legal too. I can't understand these people who insist on fitting illegal, aftermarket, retina burning lamps!

• Like 2

Thanks guys. We were going to sell the Yaris, 13 years old, but its still drives well and is in good condition and its seems pointless to get rid of it. Its not worth much £1k tops I guess but its worth spending a few hundred updating some things like headlights and bushes until the wife sees something she really likes. Two years looking and no sign of that yet.

2 hours ago, topgazza said:

Thanks guys. We were going to sell the Yaris, 13 years old, but its still drives well and is in good condition and its seems pointless to get rid of it. Its not worth much £1k tops I guess but its worth spending a few hundred updating some things like headlights and bushes until the wife sees something she really likes. Two years looking and no sign of that yet.

Trouble is, as it ages, more things do go wrong.. And unless you diy, the costs do mount up.

eg: the rear heatshield on the back box of our Yaris d4d fell off due to corrosion of the washers holding it on. It's hidden behind the one piece exhaust so removal means removing holding rubber hangars and grovelling. New washers cut from steel, and a ratchet spanner and lots of rust dissolving fluid and fixed it..But it took about 90 minutes (a garage would take less time of course).. That adds to 1 heater resistor, one window winder mechanism, one set ARB bushes, and 4 new glowplugs in past 3 years.. Edit : and a new rear coil spring (corrosion).  Car is now 15 years old  and I did it all for peanuts but paying a garage would be expensive,  And Although I think I am growing younger and fitter every day when I stand on my head, reality is otherwise :-)

Edited by Madasafish
Senility makes me forget things.

Thats true Madasafish. Its a gamble but the car is hardley used at the moment I'll do the headlights myself. But if it starts to have lots of issues we'll trade it is as scrappage which is worth more than selling it.

What about sourcing headlights ? There seems to be a few suppliers some OEM, expensive, and others. Any advice on where to get them from please ?

Why are you looking to replace the headlights?

I polished them and the o/s came up great but n/s is OK at best so I thought "replace both".

Biut I went out again today and gave the n/s another really deep sand and polish and its pretty good so  I wont be changing them now 😀

I'm checking out prices on the x-treme and I keep coming across GE megalight @17 a pair. Any good.... I do like the look of the Philips X-treme though

GE Megalights got top results in the latest Auto Express test - https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/best-car-headlight-bulbs-2018-group-test

Halfords own brand bulbs and Ring bulbs are both made by Alise - so if you're considering either of these, go for whichever is cheapest.

Thanks again Frosty.

I usually only go for Halfords for very basic stuff but their bulbs do get a good review. I dont mind paying the money for a decent pair of bulbs. Its too important. But good to see such a choice.

Also trying to work out if I need H4 or H7.

I think they should be H4 ?

Probably H4, which are double filament (high and low beam), whereas H7 are single filament.

Fitted the bulbs after the usual slashed hand and arms. Definate improvement.

Just looking for a rubber dust cover for the rear of the headlight which has mysteriously gone missing from the N/s. I've raised a seperate thread