Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Auris 1.3 - 2009 AUX Input

webjaved

Hello,

I've recently purchased an Auris 1.3 2009 and I've been having a look around but can't seem to find the AUX port. Does it even have one? If so, where do I need to look? 

If it doesn't, what do you recommend I get so I can connect my iPod to the car?

Thanks,

J.

Edited by webjaved
Aux added to thread title

The Aux input and USB were only fitted to the post-facelift Auris (from February 2010) - they were in the upper glovebox.

The pre-facelift Auris (2007-2009) didn't have them.

• Like 1

Yep
Frosty is correct, i am not sure if you can have it fitted aftermarket.

Your best bet would be to check with your local audio shop and see if they can assist to have one fitted to your car.

Either the above or have a look at what Connects2 and Xcarlink offer - which tend to connect to the autochanger socket on the head unit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Either the above or have a look at what Connects2 and Xcarlink offer - which tend to connect to the autochanger socket on the head unit.

Will something like this do then? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222408193040

If not, i'll have to take a look at what Connects2 and Xcarlink offer. 

I had a look at a 2008 Auris & noticed next to the wing mirror electric button adjuster it had an AUX input. I didn't fancy that car as it looked run down from the outside. 

Thanks for the input, will have a look at what you've suggested. 

• Like 1

If the 2008 Auris had an Aux input, that would have been a third party addition.

The e-bay one looks OK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If the 2008 Auris had an Aux input, that would have been a third party addition.

The e-bay one looks OK.

It definitely looked like a 3rd party addition. 

I'll send the seller a message on eBay and send a pic of the CD/Radio player. 

Will let you know how I get on. 

Thanks.

IMG_20180925_192621.jpg

I had a 2009 and a 2012 Auris 1.33 from new. The earlier one didn't have an Aux/USB, and the 2012 did - which is why 2008 model you've seen must have a third party Aux input.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I had a 2009 and a 2012 Auris 1.33 from new. The earlier one didn't have an Aux/USB, and the 2012 did - which is why 2008 model you've seen must have a third party Aux input.

It was so professionally installed you wouldn't have thought it was a 3rd party installation. I did have a look at the 2010 model, that had the AUX/USB installed in the glove box (top compartment).

From 2010 onwards they did have an AUX/USB socket fitted in the glovebox as standard, but prior to that nothing.

I fitted one of these to my 2009 Auris a couple of years ago and it works very well:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-MP3-CD-Changer-Adapter-USB-AUX-Extension-Cable-Toyota-Avensis-RAV4/121823080917?hash=item1c5d38b1d5:g:rssAAOSwwE5WVAjj

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

From 2010 onwards they did have an AUX/USB socket fitted in the glovebox as standard, but prior to that nothing.

I fitted one of these to my 2009 Auris a couple of years ago and it works very well:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-MP3-CD-Changer-Adapter-USB-AUX-Extension-Cable-Toyota-Avensis-RAV4/121823080917?hash=item1c5d38b1d5:g:rssAAOSwwE5WVAjj

Not bad that, does it charge the iPod whilst it's connected? The addition of bluetooth is useful!

1 minute ago, webjaved said:

Not bad that, does it charge the iPod whilst it's connected? The addition of Bluetooth is useful!

To be honest although I fitted the AUX/USB socket I never actually use the socket itself as the bluetooth feature works so well with my phone I've never felt the need to physically plug anything in! Not sure if it would charge anything.

18 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

To be honest although I fitted the AUX/USB socket I never actually use the socket itself as the Bluetooth feature works so well with my phone I've never felt the need to physically plug anything in! Not sure if it would charge anything.

Are you able to check when you are free and feedback on here?

16 minutes ago, webjaved said:

Are you able to check when you are free and feedback on here?

I don't have an ipod to test it with, but I just tried plugging the USB lead of my TomTom satnav into the socket and it does start the satnav up and begin to charge it so it does appear to be capable of charging devices via USB.

• Like 1

Just now, yossarian247 said:

I don't have an ipod to test it with, but I just tried plugging the USB lead of my TomTom satnav into the socket and it does start the device up and begin to charge it so it does appear to be capable of charging via USB.

That's good enough for me, I may just end up purchasing the one you have installed. Looks like it will charge the iPod up. Thank you. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/26/2018 at 1:51 PM, yossarian247 said:

I don't have an ipod to test it with, but I just tried plugging the USB lead of my TomTom satnav into the socket and it does start the satnav up and begin to charge it so it does appear to be capable of charging devices via USB.

I've plugged in my iPod and it charges it up, but it doesn't play the songs on the iPod through the CD Player. I don't think its capable of doing that, but it should. Hmm, confused.

Try the audio cable on some other device, maybe that's at fault.

1 hour ago, furtula said:

Try the audio cable on some other device, maybe that's at fault.

Which audio cable? Sorry if I'm being dumb. 

Everything seems to be fine. I think the adapter may just not play songs from an iPod. 

18 hours ago, webjaved said:

Which audio cable? Sorry if I'm being dumb. 

Everything seems to be fine. I think the adapter may just not play songs from an iPod. 

Arent you using cable like this one?

This is just a wild guess, but you are not trying to play the music from your ipod via USB, are you?

image.png.599dc839c26415a7aa8a5759823501e7.png

31 minutes ago, furtula said:

Arent you using cable like this one?

This is just a wild guess, but you are not trying to play the music from your ipod via USB, are you?

image.png.599dc839c26415a7aa8a5759823501e7.png

Nope, not using that cable. I guess there might be a cable like the above that connects to an iPod?

And yes, I'm trying to play the iPod via USB. I now know that this isn't possible via USB. It only charges the iPod. I can however play it through a USB pen drive. I'm cool with that. 

Yeah, that's the cable to get the music playing. You can get it cheap at most stores.

If you check on youtube for connecting ipod to aux input, you will see people using that cable.

Maybe if you would get the car to recognize the ipod as a memory card, then playing the music from it via usb might also work.

Just now, furtula said:

Yeah, that's the cable to get the music playing. You can get it cheap at most stores.

If you check on youtube for connecting ipod to aux input, you will see people using that cable.

I've got one already, will give that a test tomorrow 👍

If the Auris stereo has a CD changer port at the rear of the unit, the a AUX/SD/USB adapter or with optional bluetooth built in, can be added. This will greatly enhance your in car multimedia and help try and keep you legal by using the steering controls, not touching any hand held device: - 

The adapters shown fit and work with most Toyota's with 6+6 CD changer sockets. 

Also see my how to:-  

A bit late but may be useful to other owners.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

I have a Toyota Auris 1.33 T3. I have the same issue as above as I want to be able to play music, charge my device and answer the few phone calls I receive while driving.

I have considered a number of options and would like some help and advice;

1. bluetooth transmitter

2. MP3 TO USB/AUX adapter

3. bluetooth parrot Kit (Mki9200)

4. Replacing the head unit

I have had a FM transmitter before and I sceptical of them at the best. Out of the other 3 options I am open to any. I would like to still be able to retain steering wheel controls. 

Thanks in advance

New non OEM head units can do all of that you want + work with steering wheel commands and you get cameras on them, with the price tag of around 150 to 180 gbp on sites like Aliexpress + installation fee if you don't do it yourself.

You can find review about them online, i was thinking about buying one, and gave up, since i already have Toyota blue tooth kit.