Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

"Charge System" showing on the dashboad.

Pav1982

Hi
I'm new this forum so any advice given is highly appreciated. So basically I bought a 2009 Auris, 1.3L and the mileage is only 37000 and intermittently I receive a message on the instrument panel saying "charge system" before I tuning on the car sometimes the car won't start so I turn the key to back to off position and try to turn it on then it starts. I would appreciate if you all could point me in the right direction or what the fault is.

Regards,

Pav

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the Auris club.

Does the message read 'Charging System' and is accompanied by a warning triangle and a buzzer sounding?

Hi Frostyballs,

Yes the triangle comes up and a beep sound but once the engine starts then the triangle disappears including. Add to that note once the car is running there are no other warning light showing.

Regards,

Parvez Omar

An issue with the charging system - could do with checking for any fault codes being displayed.

Did you buy from a dealer? If so, have a look at 'the first six months' section of the Consumer Rights Act 2015  - https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

I bought it privately. I was wondering could it be the Battery. As the car is 9 years old?. My guess is that the Battery cells start to go weak after 5 years? 

Perhaps - if so one would need a Battery designed for stop/start systems (eg an AGM battery). But would be inclined to see whether there are any fault codes displayed first, before buying a Battery, in case it is something else

Its funny when you use a car all the time and can't recall exactly what happens......

I think if you turn the key without starting you see a message something like that after a few seconds, and you also get a beep if you wait a little while.

What I'm getting is that to start the car you need to be sure you depress the clutch fully to operate the safety switch. Its easy not to do that or not press it fully to the floor.

• 2 weeks later...

Parvaiz i got same problem but mine is ok driving wise..I got it checked by toyota dealer , they said the alternator is not charging sufficiently , if i remember they said it should be over 14 v but my alternator is currently charging 13.6 v ..anyways i guess these are common problems with these rubbish toyota auris 1.3 cars!  i had another problem with throttle body which i got it changed with used one so my car driving ok but showing same charging system warning message.. dealer said its warning message not a warning fault.. 

13.6 volts could be valid depending on the test conditions as the alternator output voltage is not a constant fixed figure. Its  very easy to measure the voltage yourself with a cheap DMM (digital multimeter)

• 6 months later...

What did you do with this then? I am having the same problem. 

Hi Avais, 

I have noticed if you don't press the clutch all the way down then the error shows up. The clutches are very sensitive. Also took it to a garage to check the Battery and the alternator and no issues found. 

Hope this helps. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links