Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is my Rav4 worth saving?

Krizano

The 5-door RAV 4.3 isn't as big on the outside as it may first appear. It's really very manoeuvrable and easy to park so you shouldn't really have any trouble with one ... 🙂

Like most cars, the RAV has tended to get a little larger with each version - the current 4.4 is just that little bit bigger than the 4.3 and next years 4.5 will be that much bigger again! And while Toyota did drop the smaller 3-door version they did introduce the (short lived) Urban Cruiser (which might not be a bad choice but you'd need a 1.4 diesel in order to get 4WD) and now have the CH-R which while 5-door has the look of a 3-door (and can be had in 4WD with a 1.2 petrol engine).

But I suspect that you will rather like the 5-door RAV 4.3 ... 😉

• Thanks 1

Philip, thank you so much for that. I loved getting my 3dr into tight spots. I guess I'll just have to get into slightly larger tight spots? (And no, I don't bang the cars in front or behind when I parallel...) Urban Cruiser, what a name! That almost takes the top prize, but the Plymouth Prowler have beaten it to the sketchiest urban name award. But I will have a gander even if I'm trying to steer clear of anything where parts might be an issue. As I live in central London, diesel is out but appreciate your advice.  CH-R is a real bruiser but out of my price bracket for a work car. It's nice, though.

I do hope you're right about the 5dr RAV4. Drove my brother's in America and it was a total hog, not in a good way. Do the models make that much difference?

The car I'm looking at is 2007 Toyota Rav 4 Xt-r Vvt-i, 1998CC Petrol, 5DR, Manual. Is there anything I should look out for in this vehicle?

The US 4.3 was the same body shape etc as the UK version but the engines were significantly bigger and thirstier. There is a 2.4 litre version as well as a V6 3.5 version. Auto transmission would be standard.

Mileage is an important consideration, especially from a price point of view. Theres nothing really special about a 4.3 - so apply the same principles of examination as you would for any car. If you know the registration number - you can get the MOT history on line. This can give some idea of how the car has been treated. Service history documents are most desirable and their absence is a price haggling point. If buying privately - consider getting a HPI check carried out and beware of a car being sold without a V5 registration document. 

• Thanks 1

That's excellent advice, thank you! I will check all that and appreciate you taking the time. I need that input!

I really want this car back... could it end up as a CAT car?

jvZX8qjSQ3Wvj2dIUbArgw.jpg

If the claim has been settled on a total loss basis - the car will be declared Car N or maybe Cat S - as such, it wouldn’t be an attractive repair prospect for anyone. 

• Like 1

If it's written off as a total loss, you can ask the insurers to let you have it, with an adjustment to the payment they give you.  If you argue the amount of their offer, they may even give it to you for little or nothing.  I've heard of that happening.

Then its up to you to have it repaired.  You may find that, after repair, insurers will only give you 3rd Party cover.

• Thanks 1

I think it has a broken drive shaft but don't know the rest. The insurers' valued it low, I think, for its condition. I was told it wouldn't be safe to fix, as the tyres might not ever be in alignment again. But insurers often don't want to be bothered with stuff like this. I can't go back and buy it from them now, I don't think, as it has been towed away?

If you have not yet accepted their offer, you still own the car, and you would not be buying it from them, just retaining it. plus receiving a cash sum to compensate you for the damage.

BUT, you will bear the risk that the repairs could turn out very expensive.

If you have accepted the offer, ownership passes to the insurers, and they may have already sold it.

• Thanks 1

Copart own the car. I really wish I could have had a proper mechanic look at it but no one would come to where it was parked in W1. I work 12 hour days and no one seemed interested, even if I'd paid them. It's only now I found out about Dekra which would have been a good idea.

The angle of the front wheel would suggest that this is more than a broken driveshaft and could be a can of worms. It appears that the wheel has taken the brunt of the collision - it may have been turned out on partial lock whilst the car was parked. You would have needed expert advice before considering a repair settlement. The devil is of course in the detail - but if you had fully comp insurance - your insurance company is in breach of their obligations. They cannot wash their hands of the matter and should have acted in your best interests. As a minimum, the car should have been recovered to their approved repairer (or one of your choice) for a full evaluation. It's not good enough to leave you to deal with the third party - infact a decent insurance company would not want you to enter into direct debate with the third party or their insurers. Was this a  known insurance company or a Lloyds syndicate?

• Thanks 1

The Royal Mail's insurance has scrapped the car. I didn't have legal cover so I assumed my insurance wouldn't handle this. I've signed the car over already. I am using HastingsDirect which didn't respond when I forwarded them the emails from the Royal Mail's Insurers. What have I done?!?!?! Have I consigned my gorgeous RAV to the scrapheap for no reason??

Hastings Direct are an intermediary - so they offer insurance from a number of insurance companies, but aren't actually an insurer themselves.

Legal cover is something entirely different. Your insurance policy covers insured losses eg accident damage, theft of vehicle, cracked windscreen etc etc. Your accident is covered under the terms of your insurance policy. Legal cover is an add on which covers you for things not covered by your insurance policy - eg pursuing a claim to recover your policy excess from a third party. There is something very wrong when an insurance company ignores your request to pursue a claim on a fully comprehensive policy. The exception would be when you decide to pursue a claim yourself and inform the insurance company "for information only". The insurance company would usually play this back to you to ensure that you understand that you're going it alone

I don't think that you've consigned your car to the scrapheap for no reason! It's quite likely that the car would have been written off but your insurance company would have taken the load off you and the damage and loss would have been assessed by the party having your best interests. The third party insurance will obviously pursue the interests of their insured.

I obviously don't have all the facts, but on the face of it, I would be making a formal complaint to the Insurance Ombudsman. This would include the fact that you have been disadvantaged in several aspects. In particular the inaction of your insurance company may have been prejudicial in obtaining a fair settlement.