Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

VVT-I Ticking noise

deano20010

Ok so for at least 6 months been getting a nasty ticking noise from car engine drivers side Toyota Rav4 2003, my wife's brother tells me its the VVT but shouldn't be concerned it will still run fine and nothing to worry about.

Last week my Battery went dead and left it all night and jumped started it next morning, the ticking had seemed to stop and only now and again kicking in for a second, so it seemed the cars computer was reset and adjusted the timing is this correct or is there another explanation.

Ow, the ticking is making its way back again very slowly I think lol.

It could be the valve timing gear, timing chain, wide tappet or an injector fault. Usually a fault with the VVT unit will manifest itself in a ticking sound which changes or stops under varying engine conditions. you might be able to confirm the location of the ticking with s rodor stethoscope. If you can live with the noise and it’s not getting worse -it might be best to do nothing. VVT actuator faults often arise from lubrication issues such as not changing engine oil at the prescribed interval.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links