Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto high beam not working

IvanLa

Hello everybody,

Just noticed that auto high beam is not working on my new Yaris at all. I used to use it before on another Yaris so definitely know how it works. It just doesn't turn on on unlit streets anymore.

Any ideas what that could be? 

I am unfortunately cannot get the car to the dealer at this moment.

Don't know if they changed how it works in 2018 model. Push lever away from you when switch in auto position, and press on automatic high beam switch.  Automatic high beam indicator at top of dash should come on green. Does not work under 25 mph or if tail lights turned on by car in front.

• Like 1

It has been fixed all by itself. Didn't do anything, just noticed that it was working as it supposed to... mystery 😉 

Thanks,

You couldn't have rotated the switch another click or 2? On the Avensis it only works if the lights are set to Auto - rotate the switch further & you have to manually dip/high beam.

Can I ask a question about this please?

What is "auto high beam"? How does the car know that it's safe and legal to put on the high beams?

We have automatic lights on our Yaris Hybrid, but the dipped beams come on automatically not the high beams automatically.

Mick.

Auto high beam is one of the features of Toyota Safety Sense - 

Thanks.  That's explained the stupidity of it quite nicely.

I see that the system puts it back to dipped beam when it detects an oncoming vehicle with its lights on.  That's a good thing to have but what about cyclists, pedestrians or horse riders?

What about Highway Code Rule 114?

You MUST NOT

• use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders

Automatically putting on the high beam would become ........... well, automatic and without thought?  ............... and therefore if you enable that function you are not considering other road users before automatically switching to high beam.

Stupid system and should be banned from use in the UK.

Full beam should never be automatic.

Mick.

• Like 1

Other vehicle manufacturers have similar systems (eg Ford, BMW, Landrover, etc), so presumably these fit with EU legal requirements.

47 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Other vehicle manufacturers have similar systems (eg Ford, BMW, Landrover, etc), so presumably these fit with EU legal requirements.

Maybe it's only me that's being sensible then?  Maybe it's only me who knows the law? How can you have something that is automatic without any consideration with other road users?  Switching to high beam should - or even MUST - be a conscious decision.

Switching to high beam is awful to anyone in the beam who could be on the road without enough light to be recognised by an automatic car full beam.  Thank goodness I've not encountered this automatic system yet.  Hopefully, the car drivers locally who have this facility have disabled it.

I still say it should be banned.

Mick.

• Like 2

I agree - maybe it is just you.

1 hour ago, Mick F said:

Maybe it's only me that's being sensible then?  Maybe it's only me who knows the law? How can you have something that is automatic without any consideration with other road users?  Switching to high beam should - or even MUST - be a conscious decision.

Switching to high beam is awful to anyone in the beam who could be on the road without enough light to be recognised by an automatic car full beam.  Thank goodness I've not encountered this automatic system yet.  Hopefully, the car drivers locally who have this facility have disabled it.

I still say it should be banned.

Mick.

I thought you have to enable it first....

Yes, the driver is in charge of all things, including lights of course.

Trouble is, when there's an automatic system, it is designed to be used and will be used by the unthinking.  This system is designed to work the way it works, and WILL be used.  Putting on full beam should and must be a decision, and never an auto function.

I'd like to see an automatic dipping system when the car detects an unlit moving object.  At least that would help us a little bit from automatic full beam addicts dazzling road users in contravention of Highway Code Rule 114.

Mick.

It's not mandatory to disengage one's brain when using automatic headlights.  My last car had them and they worked a treat on A-roads, dipping quickly every time something came towards me or I came within a reasonable distance behind someone.  Not so good on motorways tho, they didn't 'see' an oncoming car until much later than one would normally use dip, and they often thought a road sign reflecting back was tail lights.  It doesn't take long to figure out where they are of use and where they're not.  Simply pulling the stalk back to the dip position dipped them manually when necessary - just like 'manual' high beam.

I don't use it because:

a) it usually lags how quickly I can dip/switch to high beam myself

b) it doesn't deal well with crossing traffic (think of a long sweeping turn with another car coming the other  way) until the other car is approaching nearly head on

On the other hand for those people that drive slowly down country lanes on dip all the  time it may help those behind to overtake as we will be able to see further past them when the car switches to high beam 😛

1 hour ago, Heidfirst said:

On the other hand for those people that drive slowly down country lanes on dip all the  time😛

Tell me about it! My SIL complained about lack of headlights until I pointed out the aim adjuster (on the car she'd owned for a few years), but I declined to let her know about the dipswitch on the basis she'd probably drive on mainbeam all the time.

The issue that some find as regards lights dazzling and the Highway Code has already been discussed ad nauseum in earlier topics.

Please return to the topic subject (auto high beam not working) otherwise the thread will be locked.

6 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The issue that some find as regards lights dazzling and the Highway Code has already been discussed ad nauseum in earlier topics.

Please return to the topic subject (auto high beam not working) otherwise the thread will be locked.

Can you post the links to these threads and topics please?

Then I'll shut up.

Thanks, Mick.

Do a search for them.

Topic locked.