Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla VVTI T3

T354

Hi, 

I'm new to the forum and was looking for some reliable advice before I take the car to get looked at. 

I've had my second hand Corolla for 5 weeks and love it. However I have noticed that there's a distinct howl when driving in gears up to 4th. This is upon acceleration and deceleration as well as slow cruising. 

It sounds a bit like a winding/whirring noise and I'm not sure if it's typical noise from transmission or if there's actually an issue. It's done it since I bought the car but I've become more aware of it recently especially when I'm driving without the radio on etc. 

It doesn't sound rattley, no clicking or knocking. It stops when I press the clutch and when I'm driving at speed I can't hear it. Gear shifting is fine and engagement overall seems normal. The clutch seems in good order too. 

Any advice welcome. I have a video too but unsure how to upload it properly. 

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the Corolla club.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

From your description it sounds like a noisy clutch release bearing which means a new clutch as its false economy to not replace all three clutch parts at the same time eg clutch plate, cover and thrust bearing.  Typical cost from £300 + depending on who you use,  Toyota dealers seem to do 2 versions, standard and a lower priced  OptiFit.

That said the noise could be due to many other causes, so do get a couple of garages to give it a test to ensure you get the right diagnosis.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

From your description it sounds like a noisy clutch release bearing which means a new clutch as its false economy to not replace all three clutch parts at the same time eg clutch plate, cover and thrust bearing.  Typical cost from £300 + depending on who you use,  Toyota dealers seem to do 2 versions, standard and a lower priced  OptiFit.

That said the noise could be due to many other causes, so do get a couple of garages to give it a test to ensure you get the right diagnosis.

Hi, thanks very much for your reply, I did suspect it could possibly be something like this but wasn't 100% certain. I'll definitely take it to a couple of garages for their opinion and then take it from there. The car typically drives like a dream so I want to make sure it's well looked after. It's relatively low mileage and over the last year it had only done less than 2k miles. That seemed to be the average for the last 2 to 3 years so it has had minimal use as the previous owner was registered disabled. I know that sometimes comes with some negatives as with short journeys and not running for very long at any time. I've eased the car in and so far hasn't let me down. 

I've spent a little time making sure everything else is in good order and maintained. 

I'll check back with the outcome once I've visited a couple of garages this week. Thanks again 😁

Hi,

The Clutch thrust bearing noise is usually quiet obvious,  at tickover in neutral, you can hear the whirring type of sound that will increase with a few revs, but push down on the clutch pedal and the noise will stop.

Better if you mention what engine you have diesel or petrol and cc.

Assume you have changed the engine oil and filters etc ?

Don't forget the pollen filter behind the glovebox and the gearbox oil  which could also make such noises.