Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wires hanging out the back of RAV4

Ktgjl

Anyone an idea what these wires might be, hanging out the back of my 2004 RAV4? They were there when we bought it second hand (should have asked then, I know).

IMG_20180623_141059.jpg

Since they are zip tied to a Curt trailer hitch they are probably associated with whatever accessory the previous owned had there / towed. They are almost certainly aftermarket connections rather than Toyota OEM and, at a wild guess, the connections for a lighting board for use when the existing licence plate is covered by whatever is being towed / carried.

Hi Georgina.

I used to fit tow bars for a living and although we here in the U.K. appear to do the wiring up for them differently to me as your car has a tow bar fitted and the fact it has a cable tie holding it onto the tow bar bracket it's a pretty safe assumption to say they are the wires, via the plastic plug, that are used to make the lights work on the back of a caravan or a trailer, whichever your car was towing.

The fact the plastic socket appears to have an open end I very much suggest you put some sort of plastic cover, maybe a sandwich bag, to protect the terminals from getting water or dirt on them.

Mike.

This is a USA tow hitch where the ball mount slides into the square aperture and is locked in place with the pin. The socket is a US type square socket used for trailer lighting etc. Follow the advice of the previous poster and also tape the plug so it doesn't risk being ripped off. All might be handy one day especially if you already have the ball somewhere in the car.

Thank you all, most helpful. As I have no intention of using the car to tow anything - do you think it may be worth removing? And, if so, does anyone know if this is something I can do myself, or will have to take to a professional? Many thanks again. 

Hi Again.

To take the tow bar off you will need various spanners and a socket set and to remove the wiring socket you will have to find the other end of the wires, they will possibly be behind one of the rear lights. 

Personally I would leave it on, extra protection incase somebody rams the back of your car and as Gjnorthall has also commented about the rear wire plug also, if it were to get ripped off it will make the wires possibly 'short out' together, a fire risk, so insulate it the best you can and secure the plug to the tow bar well so it isn't hanging.

If you really don't want the tow bar and wiring on your car I think you will need a professional.

Regards, Mike.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links