Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to separate 2.0 Diesel engine & gearbox

Mike Gamble

I’ve removed the engine and gearbox complete from a car I’m breaking for spares. 

I’ve tried to remove the gearbox as I would normally but, it appears to be absolutely locked on. 

Am I missing something obvious here?!

Have you removed the transfer box? - two of the gearbox flange bolts are a bit hidden by the transfer box. With all the flange bolts removed - it’s quite likely that the box will stick to the engine due to corrosion of the alloy flanges and the locating dowels could also stick. There’s a drain cutout on the gearbox flange - knock a wooden wedge into the cutout to force the flanges apart. 

No, I haven’t removed the transfer box but, I have got to the two hidden bolts - I’m 100% certain I’ve got all the bolts removed.

I thought it might be linked to the transfer box so I tried to get that off but, once again, I couldn’t get that off!

Its not going well!!

The transfer box can stick very firmly -  and as well as the bolts and dowels, there are two studs and nuts - it sometimes helps to break the seal if you remove the studs by double nutting, then giving the end of the box a sharp jolt with a mallet cushioned with a block of wood. The flange seal on the gearbox will break if you use a wedge in the drain slot. Putting some Plus Gas around the gearbox flange and leaving overnight might help.

Probably what 'G' has suggested... however, if this is a manual g/box with a clutch assm., many years ago whist working as a mechanic I had an instance of a vehicle that had been stood for a few years unused and the g/box spiket shaft had rust-welded itself to the clutch center plate splines... we had the devils own game getting the g/box housing to seperate off the engine back plate.  We had to use wedges, tyre levers and bars to force the spiket out of the clutch plate center splines (normally free sliding) totally distroying the clutch plate in the process.  Just offering this as an alternative thought... but as I say, 'G's recomendations seem to be the favourite ^

Dave

I’ve had another crack today with a limited success. The transfer box has opened up as shown but , it doesn’t seem to want to go any further and I’m loath just to hammer away at it in case I’ve missed something?

F39DE788-5763-4BA3-A71F-0D0BA65BF7B9.jpeg

The transfer shaft has to be pulled out of the gearbox -this could take quite a bit of effort. This splined shaft will bind if the transfer box isn’t pulled away straight. The transfer box needs to be supported so that the transfer box isn’t hanging on the transfer shaft. You may need to lever the units apart  -  the transfer shaft may well be a tight fit.

Ok, I’ll support it a bit better then get a jemmy bar in there. It seems a bit brutal!!

Wedges driven in diagonal positions might be better

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links