Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bumper Repairs

roks

Hi All,

I had quotes of £350-600 to fix my bumper, couple of dents/spiderwebs I caused when I reversed into lamp posts while reversing, rest is caused by others. So I decided to go diy, it started well, sanded down the deep scratches and cracks and filled putty etc.  By the time I finished it was quite a few patches so I ended up scuffing the whole bumper, prime it and basecoat. I hadnt taken into consideration the extra paint I will need, so I just managed to cover the bumper with the one can of 400ml. Me being impatent, went ahead and did the clear coat as well, I only had one can of 500ml, managed to get one coat.

Very ill prepared I was, the result now is a matt looking finish, otherwise would have had goot results.

My question is, can I now apply further coats of the clearcoat by scuffing/sanding to get the wet coat on, its been a few days since I did the first coat

Or do I need to sand it all down and start all over? Which I'd like to avoid.

Thanks.

As long as you key it up with 1200 / 2000 grit, you can add more clear coat. Just be sure to coat the entire bumper or there will be a difference in colour.

Rattle cans always seem to have a dull finish, machine polish for best results to get that glossy shine.

• Like 1

Thanks Jay, I did manage to get half of the wheel arch shiny but that took a lot of passes and the colour isn't 100% anyway, even tried Mr.T before 99%.

The bumper feels a bot rough but not smooth either, I think 2000 grit will make it smoother now, but will test it a bit that ill be covered by mud guard.

Hopefully get 3 coats on, got several cans at hand now, next time I'll just stick to spot repairs.

Hi,

Sounds like you are lucky and have a colour that can be easily matched, I have a silver 1C0 and its a total nightmare to colour match using spray cans, even Toyotas own spray cans.

Halfords actually a slightly better match, but despite shaking and warming they continue to 'spit' and mess up the base coat, having to rub down and try again,  probably been sat on the shelf for years.

As it's quite cold now, it would be best if you can do this in a warmer place, 25C or so, should give better results.

Before you use the rattlecan, put it hot water, 50C or whatever you got, this should give you smoother finish.

You will always end up with some orange peel, and that's allright, even new cars have it. You can use 2000, 3000 grit to take down the uneven spots, then polish for nice finish with a machine.

If you dont have a polisher at hand, dont be tempted to put a wheel on a grinder, as you will ruin the polish, so better leave as is.

25 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Sounds like you are lucky and have a colour that can be easily matched, I have a silver 1C0 and its a total nightmare to colour match using spray cans, even Toyotas own spray cans.

Halfords actually a slightly better match, but despite shaking and warming they continue to 'spit' and mess up the base coat, having to rub down and try again,  probably been sat on the shelf for years.

I just bought touch up paint for 6U9, dark green metallic which looks quite hard to match up, but the color i got is spot on, tried yesterday, and it's an amazing match.

Anyway, they also do rattlecans, so if someone wants a link, pm me.

I don't want to advertise or anything, i was surprised by how good they matched in my case, so wanted to share.

Hi furtula, What paint make did you get, Hycote, Halfrauds, or other? Toyota colour paints are a problem to match with the original paint because it tends to fade. The darker the paint, the better the match after 10 years or more. My paint appears to have had a color name rebrand by Toyota a number of times. Using the paint code is the best way to get what it should be (or as near as possible).

13 hours ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Hi OC,

Nearly, think 98% match, mine is 1C3 Igneous Grey, I got from eBay, custom mixed by company called WLW £12.99+free 500ml lacquer. I bought a 2nd can, they adjusted bit for me, not tried on the bumper yet as it appeared darker on a test so I got put off. I am not impressed witheir lacquer though, they claim "proffesional fan spray" nozzles but didnt get the fan at all, almost used the whole 500ml can but couldnt get it to look wet.

I had to resort to ECP optima lacquer can £2 each, the nozzle provided very nice fan spay, got the wet look.

13 hours ago, furtula said:

Before you use the rattlecan, put it hot water, 50C or whatever you got, this should give you smoother finish.

I wish I saw your comments before I started, the cans from ECP were in the car boot and quite warm by 2pm, sun was up, 21*C but had tree shade on my car from across the street.

I still have front bumper to do but only going to do the sides/corners,

On 10/4/2018 at 2:51 AM, JayG said:

As long as you key it up with 1200 / 2000 grit, you can add more clear coat.

I went with 800, very lightly but still managed to go through in couple of places, wish I had done a couple of coats of the basecoat but luckley I had a bit of spray left over to cover those bits. Some place it didnt go through but the marks are visible (swirl marks?) if you look in certain angles.

Overall not a bad finish.

You forgot to put the picture up mate, can't leave us hanging.

5 hours ago, furtula said:

You forgot to put the picture up mate, can't leave us hanging.

LOL I always seem to forget to do a before and after pic,  its been poring down all day today, lets see tomorrow.

The rain made it a go a bit dul, hopefully once its had a polish it will come to life.

Here's some pictures, looking at it now, I can see some of the filler patch showing through in the corners...😐

20181007_102703.jpg

20181007_102713.jpg

20181007_102826.jpg

20181007_102530.jpg

20181007_102558.jpg

20181007_102610.jpg

20181007_102644.jpg

Looks alright to me, job well done, considering circumstances.

Got a pretty decent paint match too.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to get scratches/marks easily now...I guess the spray lacquer is not as hard as the factory 2k lacquer 

Spray Paint is better if heated up to a warm 30 deg C to dry it so it sets hard. Best to do this in the hot heat of Summer really.

Yes I noticed warm cans sprayed better, I had left the cans in the dash while I taped up, they were nice and warm.

Some idiot already scuffed os front.....I am not going to bother until summer now.