Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Old girl problems

Burgerman

Can anyone Help I have an old Yaris (2000)been for Mot

Had a FULL exhaust system fitted including CAT .

She has a Fault Code (running Lean bank 1) I disconnected lambda got no code 

when I first start even when she's warm we are getting a very bad smell of petrol not very good for missus whos asthmatic

Now she's dolling lumpy. !!!( car not missus  )

PLEASE HELP  

Could be a number of things, firstly are you running it without the lambda sensor? If so, that could explain the sudden smell of petrol and idle issue. To try remedy the MIL issue check that there aren't any Intake air leaks. I am assuming that there are no exhaust leaks. Check the ignition system for faults, (spark plugs, coil packs etc.) check the condition of the air filter, if all looks well so far then I would check the condition of the MAF sensor (it may just need a clean but extreme care should used when handling as the sensor is delicate. If that doesn't cure your issues then the front oxygen sensor may need to be replaced. That's the way I would go about sorting the problem, others may advise differently. Good luck and please let us know how you get on. 

EDIT: Not sure why the text is set from right to left!

23 minutes ago, stantheman1 said:

Not sure why the text is set from right to left!

Done.

Thanks, I wonder what happened there, was it something I did at my end or was it a forum issue?

Possibly the text alignment may have been accidentally changed from left to right when typing - but that's just a thought. I just changed the alignment to left which corrected it.

Hi, take it back to the who ever fitted the exhaust, and get them to sort it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it could well be a dirty MAF (Mass Airflow) sensor, which does give lumpy idling and possible stalling problems, and also poor throttle response. On the 1.0 1999 model I used to own, the MAF is located behind the air filter housing, in the airway exiting it, into the inlet manifold. I cleaned mine very carefully - its only a very tiny thin wire, and any deposits on it, will cause issues, so a cotton bud with some white spirit of petrol on it used with care can be used. A dirty or faulty MAF will turn the MIL on, and the lean error code is a sure indication the MAF needs attention, particularly is the car has done over 80,000 miles , or if air filter changes have been neglected.

Check the wiring to ALL the sensors fitted to the exhaust. It becomes brittle and breaks, especially if sensors have been removed and refitted as they will with a new exhaust..

If you are getting a petrol smell the mixture is lean, it could suggest a manifold leak or a dirty maf. I am assuming that they changed the exhaust and checked the lambda sensors are working maybe cleaned the old ones or put new oem ones in ....N OT cheap after market ones could cause a problem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links